Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aintbeezgreat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just registered...so let me introduce myself.
I'm very new to beekeeping. Last year, after reading a magazine article about the plight of our honeybees, I joined a local bee group to see if there was anything I could do to help. From the moment the roof came off the first hive, I was hooked. Bees are sooooo brilliant.

I like honey but I really see that as a bit of a bonus; my interest is in helping increase a healthy population and simply giving some bees a good home.

I have now got enough equipment to start beekeeping and have sited my hive at the home of an elderly ex-beekeeper. Unfortunately, I have been unable to attend the club meetings so far this year where I had hoped to get on the waiting list for a swarm.

Now finding it difficult to get a nuc and would welcome any advice on this.

Welcome to the forum - have a look the sales section for nucs.

Welcome to the forum - have a look the sales section for nucs.
Thanks. Had a quick look...seems like they get snapped up very quick. Must have a proper look tomorrow when I am a bit more awake!

aintbeezgreat

Welcome to the forum. No bees myself, givin the honey time to pour, read up on it for 12 months, but info you get here will bee priceless, join in with the barracking & banter.....its worth it!

Welcome to the forum - enjoy yourself, you sound like you're already hooked!

hi and welcome to this forum. hope the information on here is to use to you. And DONT forget there is no thing like a SILLY question. there have been members on here who have asked '' a silly question'' and it turned out that thier hive was knocking on deaths door!

If you are looking for nuc's or swarms place a post in the wanted section and how far you are willing to travel.

p.s. i may have some ready for the end of june.

Welcome to the forum. No bees myself, givin the honey time to pour, read up on it for 12 months, but info you get here will bee priceless, join in with the barracking & banter.....its worth it!
Thanks.

I have been reading up but its been like information overload. Got books for reference once I've got started and have my ex-beekeeping friend to turn to (think some of his advice might be very valuable and some might be outdated).

hi and welcome to this forum. hope the information on here is to use to you. And DONT forget there is no thing like a SILLY question. there have been members on here who have asked '' a silly question'' and it turned out that thier hive was knocking on deaths door!

If you are looking for nuc's or swarms place a post in the wanted section and how far you are willing to travel.

p.s. i may have some ready for the end of june.
Thanks

I already have a couple of leads from the forsale/wanted section. Got to get my head into the books now to make sure I collect and re-home correctly. Might get back to you later.

Hi aintbeezgreat,
and as others have said, welcome!
dont have my bees yet :( but i hope soon have a couple of hives ready and waiting and have found this forum to be a great help.
not everyone will agree on things, but i guess thats beekeeping!
good luck and keep reading :)

welcome! into my second year and have had countless help from the guys on here. wasnt able to check my hive on day 7 last week and have spent the rest of this week paying the price, but thanks to several on here Think i am sorted now! Just need to spot the new queens!!!

Just as an aside - when someone tells you not to wear jeans for beeking - there is a very good reason, It hurts like :banghead: when they get you through them!!! paying the price today!!! If it isnt swarms its bee stings!!

aintbeezgreat

Another excellent source of info, real easy to understand that I find better than most books is dave cushman.net. I know beeks on here use it.

Hasn't occurred to me until now but I hope I dont have bad reaction to stings. I was the only newbie at the club last year who didn't get stung. I paid particular attention to not making fast movements and keeping calm while handling the frames. Also....and I might be setting myself up for some ridicule here....I chat to the bees all the time, telling them what I'm doing and making sure they don't get trapped between supers.

If anyones interested, have a look at "Tales of old Sussex" by Lillian Candlin. Theres a chapter called "Telling the bees".

I chat with mine all the time.

Strange thing is it seems to make them calmer and they do as they are told,maybe it makes me more relaxed to chat with them so I handle them better..

Who knows.

A lot of beekeepers chat to their bees whilst handling them / doing inspections (me included). It's probably the vibrations in the voice as much as anything else that seems to calm them.?

Latest posts

Back