Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teknosis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m a fairly new beekeeper living in south west Wales.

This is my first full year keeping bees and have just one colony. They seem to be doing okay despite being moved a few times. I thought they might swarm this year as they looked crowed but didn’t.

I’d like to change the brood chamber. The one they’re in is not quite square and has a few gaps which they use as entrances, so difficult to defend from wasp robbers later.

Is it as simple as moving each frame into the new brood chamber? should I leave the empty one on top for a bit to let the others wander down?

Jason

Hi everyone,

I’m a fairly new beekeeper living in south west Wales.

This is my first full year keeping bees and have just one colony. They seem to be doing okay despite being moved a few times. I thought they might swarm this year as they looked crowed but didn’t.

I’d like to change the brood chamber. The one they’re in is not quite square and has a few gaps which they use as entrances, so difficult to defend from wasp robbers later.

Is it as simple as moving each frame into the new brood chamber? should I leave the empty one on top for a bit to let the others wander down?

Jason

Welcome to the forum.

Changing brood box is rather straightforward, move the old brood box to one side and place the frames into the new box in the same order.

Diolch!
Only been here a few months, that’s about as far as my welsh goes, but I’m trying to learn 😀
I’m between Neath and Ammanford. I think my bees were shocked by the rain when we got here. They don’t seem to mind the mountains though.

Diolch!
Only been here a few months, that’s about as far as my welsh goes, but I’m trying to learn 😀
I’m between Neath and Ammanford. I think my bees were shocked by the rain when we got here. They don’t seem to mind the mountains though.
Don't tell me youre in GCG or Cwmgors! I mentor a few ladies down Rhos Cilybebyll way as well

Not too far away from me then, had a few swarm calls in Cwmgors this year.
There's quite a few beekeepers in your area. One, on this forum (Protheroe)
Bez (the idiot from Happy Mondays) has shares in a farm/commune on the Baran mountain as well.

Certainly seen a lot of hives around.
can’t get the image of Bez in a bee suit out of my head.

Back