Hello!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The turnbull book is doing the rounds of the forum... who ever has it, get on with it and pass it on please.

PH

Thank you, we got the Ted Hooper book from the library as the assoc. recommended it to us and also collins beekeepers bible, but think we are going to have to buy the Ted Hooper book.

Have read a book called "The bad bee keeper club" by Bill Turnbill. Very amusing book if some of you have not read it.

Mystil, I started this year and find Ted Hooper's book to be excellent. It was reprinted last year. Try searching online, both book depository & amazon have it at the moment for a similar price.

We live on Exmoor unfortunately, so abit of a drive away but thank you for the offer. If we really do get stuck we may have to do abit of a road trip!

Im thinking of buying my bee suit either from Tho*nes or BB wear, which I have worn and they fit really well. What gloves do people wear? some say plastic, some say marigolds and some say none!

Im going to have antihistamine on hand in the car when we go to the bees at any point.

We live on Exmoor unfortunately, so abit of a drive away but thank you for the offer. If we really do get stuck we may have to do abit of a road trip!

Im thinking of buying my bee suit either from Tho*nes or BB wear, which I have worn and they fit really well. What gloves do people wear? some say plastic, some say marigolds and some say none!

Im going to have antihistamine on hand in the car when we go to the bees at any point.
If you are looking for a bee suit try looking at www.thebeeshop.co.uk I have a smock with fencing veil and I am delighted with the quality. The price is very competitive also. As for gloves, I had a pair of mordant gauntlets which I found excellent for begginers as the protection gives one greater confidence. However, I have found after a little experience that wearing nitrile gloves causes one to manipulate the frames with more care, which is far better for the girls. Hope this helps.

Thank you for that. I will investigate further.

The turnbull book is doing the rounds of the forum... who ever has it, get on with it and pass it on please.

PH

yep, whoever had it last must be finished with it by now!! pass it on, folks!

If you are on Exmoor then would definately recommend Hivemakers gear he is right on your door step really good stuff and his family is lovely as well! for the time it takes to build hive to his quality its a no brainer!

Personally I wear marigolds, I have nitrile gloves for milking but dont get on with them for my girls, they are too short in the arms and i end up traping bees between cuff and glove, end result they are happy and i end up scratching for 3 days!

Mystill,

Don't bee afraid to ask as many questions as are neccessary on here - however bee prepared for:

a) 4 answers to the same question.
b) The odd slightly less thoughtful response.

And enjoy it!

Ben P

I have just bought a Th****s budget hive as back up kit and found the instructions very good and the quality also very good. If you can be bothered to put it together yourself it is a good bet. Be warned though, it takes alot longer than you think so get onto it ASAP.

The Th**nes budget stuff is excellent value for a beginner. You may want to get alternative stuff as you get used to it - many move from the single national to larger brood boxes or double up, and you will want to get a 3rd super when your bees start performing

There is an extended discussion about gloves here
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5641

Take your antihistamine before you open your hive (in other words take your antihistamine before you get stung).

A tablet takes about 20 to 30 minutes to become effective, by which time a sting has done its damage.

Latest posts

Back