hello, newbie here :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

Last year DH did a beginners beekeeping course at our local association, he'd been wanting to get involved with bees for some time and he loves honey. After this we had to apply to our local parish council to be able to keep bees on our allotment, which after cavassing the local residents was approved and written into the allotment agreement - excellent!

So this year we got married and with our wedding present money we invested in a national hive and nucleus of bees. They're amazing! well installed in allotment, been watching them come and go with their little saddlebags of pollen. Bless em!

The lady over the fence who is building a new house there collared me to ask if we were getting honey off them , next year I told her we're hoping to. Anyway turns out she suffers bad hayfever and was told local honey can help, can't get much more local than over the fence can you?

The today, a letter is delivered from the parish council, someone in the houses backing on to allotment has lodged 'concern' at the proximity of the beehive to the garden. Parish councillor says 'he can't force us to move hive but in 'respectfully requests' that we do so to maintain good relationships.

Well, first instincts were to tell him to stick it, we applied for and were granted permission to have them. But then common sense and sensibilty took over and I penned a polite letter saying we couldn't move the bees now without detriment to our developing colony and explained the reasons why we sited our bees where we did. The door to the hive faces away from the houses (which have 10 foot fences around them) and over a 5 foot pea net. Explained all about the flight path and the non agressive unless threatened nature of the honey bee. I finished off by inviting any local residents to visit us and our hive if they wanted to find out more. Basically I have put the 'concern' down to ignorance.

Will see how that goes when I drop the letter off tomorrow......

Thanks for reading,
Kerry and Rob

Latest posts

Back