Hello John..... Got a new Nail-gun?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Amongst the gaps in my tool arsenal is one of these - Santa take note.

Much pondered over especially whilst watching a day of NYW and Norm effortlessly putt-putting -assembling items that would take me 10 times longer with no appreciable benefits for my labours?

So:-

Have you got one? Make ? Nail types sizes etc. Plus what do you use it for? I have a mountain of supers to bash together so nails need to be equivilent of galvanised?

I have held the view that nail guns are a loss leader from manufacturers in persuit of high sales of nails, gas cartridges etc. Similar to PC printer firms virtually give the printer away and make money on the ink. Fair comment or not?

Regards

FB

I am awaiting the replies to this, as I am in the same place. I want a small one for gimp pins and a bigger one for hive parts. You can get electric and compressed air ones if the price of gas is a problem, and I've never noticed the nails being over priced - everything made of metal is over priced at the moment...

I have a Paslode ( gas powered) nail gun that I bought when I was doing a large amount of fencing. Never thought of using for hive construction, but probably wouldn't as it is fairly unwieldy and would be difficult align properly to stop them shooting through at the wrong angle. Think using a sledgehammer rather than a nail hammer! Cost used to be about £30 for box of nails and new cartridge, but probably gone up again.

What I did buy was a cheapy electric stapler/ nail gun (Tasco I think, from screwfix) - fires staples and nails up to about 12 mm. Really good for tacking and making small fiddly things up ( crownboards comes to mind) and wouldn't be without it now.

Ideal world? Probably air driven for ease of use, but I'd want to try before I bought.

I've got an ancient stapler that also fires nails - badged as a Rawls 453 combination gun. Doubt if it's still a current model but several firms do similar, it's manual so I can sit in a hedge and use it if I'm so inclined, and it's perfect for frames. If you're buying, check the nails that your model uses, some have smooth slim heads which which are ideal, but one make I noticed has great T-shaped clunky heads that would risk splitting delicate frame pieces I reckon.
Very useful bit of kit, and you can pick 'em up for £15-£25.

.. Have you got one? ...FB

not one three.

Two nail guns and a stapler all air powered.

The smaller of the nail guns does brads and small head staples (10-35mm) - good for hive frames, inside tongue and groove cladding and light woodwork- make: Ace

The larger nail gun is a round head 55mm nail coil magazine from hitachi. Fencing,feather edging , raised beds, and boxes.

The stapler takes wide staples for upholstery... make: Ace.

i used to have an air one from axminster that did nails to 38mm and also did staples to. it was brilliant i used to knock every thing up with it, glue the joints for strengh and nails or staple to hold it all in place, brilliant, i had to get rid of it when the air compresser went bang, shame i loved it

I would not personally recommend you use it to make hives with unless you have extensive experience in using one.

The reason is that, they have to be held spot on straight, or they will fire the nails through at an angle and can come straight out the other side. If they hit a harder part of the wood (knots) the nails don't go in proper and are hard to get back out. A nail gun is best worked with a bounce action as they tend to kick back once fired. This makes them a little to un accurate in hive building.

I am a bench hand joiner to trade, my recommendation is to use a screw gun, screws and a little glue. Once a nail is in, it is very hard to take it out again without doing damage, screw can go in and out all day long.

I would not personally recommend you use it to make hives with unless you have extensive experience in using one.

The reason is that, they have to be held spot on straight, or they will fire the nails through at an angle and can come straight out the other side. If they hit a harder part of the wood (knots) the nails don't go in proper and are hard to get back out. A nail gun is best worked with a bounce action as they tend to kick back once fired. This makes them a little to un accurate in hive building.

I am a bench hand joiner to trade, my recommendation is to use a screw gun, screws and a little glue. Once a nail is in, it is very hard to take it out again without doing damage, screw can go in and out all day long.

:iagree: The typical contruction(board to board without fixing blocks or battens) of wooden hives is not really suited to a nail gun.

However, if the construction was changed so that boards had external fixing blocks then it would be fine.
and you need to be sure its right (clamped up true and tight), because once its in its in

Last edited:
Never use anything but nail guns for hive and frame construction.

I have held the view that nail guns are a loss leader from manufacturers in persuit of high sales of nails, gas cartridges etc. Similar to PC printer firms virtually give the printer away and make money on the ink. Fair comment or not?

Can you tell Paslode that? Not only do their nailers cost a fortune, the consumables do to.

I only screw my boxes together now. 10 minutes and easily dismantled for replacing damaged bits.

15 gauge Senco brad nailer (50mm brads) does me fine for the langstroth finger joints. Pre-glued of course.
You can buy galvanised (they are nearly all galvanised) or stainless steel if you are feeling flush.

18 gauge 20mm galvanised for frames. Botstitch - nice piece of kit.

I agree about the bounce with the 15 gauge.

Makita narrow crown stapler also useful.

If you are buying it is worth checking out the gauge of nail/staple that it takes and make sure the length range it can handle will do the job for you.

Paslode gas guns are to heavy IMO. More suited to fencing and decking.

Never use anything but nail guns for hive and frame construction.

You my friend, have an extensive experience in building hives. From what i hear the quality of your Hives are second to none!

But lets be fair here, would you honestly tell an armature woodworker to use a nail gain to make a hive? To be fair, the nail guns i have used in the past have been industrial nail guns, not the DIY nail guns. So a DIY gun may have less power, but still a dangerous toy in the wrong hands.

Like you Hivemaker, i make my own hives, but unlike you i don't retail them (Yet) I use 18mm Ply and untreated CLS. But i screw everything together, in my humble opinion screws are easier for the end user to insert and withdraw (If mistakes are made). But this is just, my humble opinion.

Last edited:
But lets be fair here, would you honestly tell an armature woodworker to use a nail gain to make a hive

No i would not,no more than i would advise them to go use a sawmill,they would most likely end up with no arms or legs and nailed to a tree,but i was not telling anyone to use anything,just stating what we use. So best for the inexperianced to stick to screws for there own safety.

Last edited:
they would most likely end up with no arms or legs and nailed to a tree

Don't be silly, Hivemaker. How would they manage to do all that?:)

Reminds me of the man with three eyes, no arms and only one leg, 'thumbing' a lift. A motorist stopped and said "......." PM me if you need the "......."

RAB

Yes. got to say I've only got this kit because of my past work in furniture trade.

I bought the Thornes nail gun which is OK and does the job. I also use a Stanley nail gun so I have 2 - although I did about 2000 frames this year so its not a luxury piece of kit like it would be to some people.
Thanks
Tim

"Don't be silly, Hivemaker. How would they manage to do all that?"

you'd be surprised.

amazing how many people fall over whilst hoovering in the nude!!!

Ahem...

Back on topic, I use a small electric Rapesco nailer and find it excellent and quick for putting frames together.

Don't think I'd try it for hives, but not ventured that far yet.

I have used an Aldi 18g nailer for ages, works great. Have just bought a 16g silverline, "cheap" but has done the job so far and yes you can fire nails out of the side instead of straight in if you are not careful, like you can you also make hives the wrong size "if you are careful." :)
s

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back