Hello from Wirral

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amberbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I've just signed up this morning. I'm new to beekeeping, only just having completed a beginners course with the local BBKA. I'm looking at a national hive on Sunday and hope to get my bees by June.

Any top tips would be greatly appreciated. Buying the hive ready assembled, from preloved. Not sure what to be looking out for. :thanks:

Welcome, to sacrificed weekends and sleepless nights. Ensure you scorch / sterilise your preloved hive before use, Get a mentor/ bee buddy.

Colin

Welcome Amberbee. You will be able to get all your questions answered here.

Keep your eyes open for spares. To run a hive efficiently you need two floors, broods, supers crown boards and roofs. Each year you will find you need to increase these numbers to keep ahead of your bees until you reach the total amount of hives you want! It is a bit dependant on what swarm control method you are using but as a general rule you need spares for emergencies!
The minimum amount of hives I would advise would be 2
That way if you lose 50 percent you still have one left.
Good luck.
Ask before you do something you are not sure about. You will get loads of help here but remember there is always more than one answer and you have to make the final decision which suites your circumstances best.
Oh.......and no question is too stupid......we have all been there.......even RAB! Xxx

Hi I've just signed up this morning. I'm new to beekeeping, only just having completed a beginners course with the local BBKA. I'm looking at a national hive on Sunday and hope to get my bees by June.

Any top tips would be greatly appreciated. Buying the hive ready assembled, from preloved. Not sure what to be looking out for. :thanks:

Hi Amberlee. Welcome to the forum and well done for doing the beginner's course. Keep going to the local meetings as it's a great way to build up your contacts, and for hearing what's going on in beekeeping and what you ought to be doing in the next month. I've made some really good friends at my local association. Beekeepers all seem to be nice people. :welcome:

Welcome.

My top tip:-

If you are not careful and get carried away you can spend a lot (think £100s) more than you originally wanted to : feeders, frames, supers etc soon mount up,.

Time spent thinking and learning before spending is seldom wasted.

Buy cheap and pay twice...

handy

and if your handy with a few wood woorking tools, or you know someone who is, you can save you're self a few bob!

welcome to the mad house !!!!!!!!!

Dave W

Thanks for the advice, Colin. The guy selling the hives bought them flat packed, made them up but has never used them. Do you think I should still clean them as advised?

Amberbee

Hi Enrico

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an eye out for the spares you mentioned. We're quite close to north Wales where there is a beekeeping supplier (Winne Jones) who comes highly recommended. I go to the local bbka meetings too so hopefully that will e a good way to find out about getting hold of spares.

Amberbee

Thanks for that top tip. I've been going to the local meetings and there is a training apiary which I intend to go to but each session has been cancelled so far due to adverse weather conditions! There should be one this Sunday - weather permitting!

Amberbee

Latest posts

Back