Hello from Wigan!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyWigan

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello from Wigan! Im looking to start my own hive, need some tips from members please? Also anyone from Wigan I could speak to??

Difficult times to arrange anything, have you contacted your local association? Beginners courses will be a bit different but I think they will probably be doing something like zoom. A local beekeeper who wouldn't mind you learning as you help is the best way forward.

Thanks, does anyone know if there is local association in the Wigan area?
The closet one I can fin is Ormskirk

Hello from Wigan! Im looking to start my own hive, need some tips from members please? Also anyone from Wigan I could speak to??
Google for Beekeeping Associations and take your pick - and read one or two books - no more - and see if anybody near you in the BKA you settle on is happy to show you what beeking involves despite Covid restrictions. Despite finding most piano tuners/repairers near me had stopped working despite the PTA advice that working away was still OK if they didn't have the phobia (can't work from home tuning a piano for obvious reasons), I managed to find one by Googling who did a brilliant job for me and my wife at a mere £60. A few clip-on tapes and a bit of a retune and Bob's yer flippin. If you did just a bit of Googling you could sort yourself out very quickly without much or any help here.

Joining a local BKS is good for meeting the locals and some learning but not all teaching is the same, have an open mind on some practices taught and use research and the likes of this forum for ideas on how to move forward with your bees. That that suits one doesn't always suit another, in time experiment with ideas run one hive differently to another and compare them to see what works best for the bees rather then what is easier or suits the keeper.

And beware of any matchstick keepers who are equal to those who practice and teach all year round open feed holes.
One main reason I very rarely venture to the local BKA apiary, some practices are old hat and set in their ways :banghead:.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="hemo, post: 746613, member: 819

some practices are old hat and set in their ways :banghead:.
[/QUOTE]
In the wilds of West Sussex? Shirley not! 😂

Difficult times to arrange anything, have you contacted your local association? Beginners courses will be a bit different but I think they will probably be doing something like zoom. A local beekeeper who wouldn't mind you learning as you help is the best way forward.
Ormskirk and Croston are using Google ‘ Meet ‘
for the modules .

Morning Andy .
Ormskirk are the nearest to you , I’ve been a member for donkeys years .
they are on the ball regards newbies . Have a teaching apiary and lecture rooms in Kings Moss just through Billinge!
before you spent a penny on equipment,hold fire until you’ve introduced yourself to a few local keepers , get a hands on introduction to the bees themselves ! The old adage applies proceed in haste, regret at leisure!
I hope to see you when circumstances allow . .

I have a beekeeping friend who is in Lancashire, think he's a member of Ormskirk, he's doing a lot of Zoom training for exams. I've heard good things about that association. I'd join it.

I have a beekeeping friend who is in Lancashire, think he's a member of Ormskirk, he's doing a lot of Zoom training for exams. I've heard good things about that association. I'd join it.
For some reason they’ve swapped for Google “ MEET “

For some reason they’ve swapped for Google “ MEET “
Possibly because Zoom have started cutting meetings for more than a couple of people off after 40 minutes unless you get their premium package. It's still OK for people like me who use it one-one but makes it a lot more expensive to use if several people are in a meeting.

Hi Andy, I'm just wondering whether you are still interested in chatting with local beekeepers? I am based in Wigan and currently have a total of 10 colonies in our garden. There's myself, my husband and our friend who are beekeepers and we'd love to meet others in our area, both experienced and "NewBees" :)

Let me know if that is still of interest to you.

Hi Andy, I'm just wondering whether you are still interested in chatting with local beekeepers? I am based in Wigan and currently have a total of 10 colonies in our garden. There's myself, my husband and our friend who are beekeepers and we'd love to meet others in our area, both experienced and "NewBees" :)

Let me know if that is still of interest to you.
Talking to the wall unfortunatel. He's not been back since his original post in January ... click on the members name - it will tell you when they were last active

Rather a short visit !
not long enough to know what he’s missing .

Rather a short visit !
not long enough to know what he’s missing .
Probably realised there's a bit more to it than just getting a hive and putting some bees in it - not the first to have come and gone quickly and won't be the last.

Latest posts

Back