Hello from Wakefield

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, Thought I'd introduce myself and tell you my story so far.
On the 15th of May, whilst out with the dog. I discovered a small swarm of bees about the size of a bag of sugar on a tree branch. They were 6ft up and overhanging the pathway.
To cut a long story short I ran back home for a small box and secateurs, cut the branch and lowered the lot into the box, fixed the box back in the tree and waited till dusk for them all to come in and then shut the lid. Spent that night researching on the internet. (Never kept Bees before but did learn about it 40 odd years ago when I wanted to keep them while at school. But my father said no. So that was that, and then life got in the way)
Next day I fashioned a 'hive' from some scrap plywood and made top bars for the comb. I tipped the bees into it and left them to it.
To say this has been a steep learning curve has been an understatement!
They have been very busy and the numbers seem to have exploded. I haven't been able to look in the hive yet, as Ive only just got some equipment and The bee suit I ordered was too small and i'm having to get it altered. but I have managed to have a look with a boroscope camera attatched to my phone, and they have built lots of comb.
I bought the book 'Keeping Bees with a smile' and have been building a Layens hive which is now almost finished.
I read it was best to keep 2 or 3 hives in case of problems such as the loss of a queen etc. So I bought another colony from a very nice lady near Doncaster. They are in a national Hive and I intend to move them into my Layens when its finally finished.
My garden is full of bee friendly plants anyway as I have been encouraging bumble bees for years. Unfortunately they started trying to get in the hive, so I made a grill over the entrance. large enough for the honey bees but too small for bumble bees. that seems to have worked. (see video)
Now it seems the local wasps are having a go,so I find myself patroling with my electric fly bat!
Got my first sting yesterday a bee got stuck under my T shirt and I assume felt trapped.
So thats me I'm going to have to join the local club as I have a list of questions as long as my arm!
Welcome. That all sounds really exciting. What a wonderful way to start.
There will be many a slip twixt cup and lip but you’re on the right road. Keep us in the loop.
By the way. I can trump your Bumble 😉
View attachment trim.7BBCFC29-E186-4749-8B0D-42FBF6E5C221.MOV

@Carpenter Bee.
Welcome.
Ive only been keeping bees a few years but I've found this forum to be very helpful and full of people with lots of experience.
BTW The Merry City is my "hometown". Went to QEGS. Been away a long time though.

Latest posts

Back