Hello from sunny Suffolk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper Brownie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hello,

I thought I’d finally join the forum as when googling bee things it often brings me here and without signing up I exceed the number of pages I could view.

I’ve been keeping bees for 5 years (I think, time flies). I’m currently on 12 hives split across 2 apiaries. I’m running commercial broods with national supers.

I’ve done the first harvest from both apiaries over the past two weekends, I’d say things are going very well so far this season.

However with the lack of rain and brambles just starting to flower is anyone else getting concerned as to how this season could pan out if we don’t have some significant rain soon. I’m surprised the field beans which are the current main source of nectar have their roots down far enough after the wet winter to be accessing enough moisture to be releasing nectar. I’m based in Suffolk how are others finding it so far where they are?

Beekeeper Brownie

Last edited:
I’ve had some spring honey but I don’t usually have much here in Wales.
I am in rural sheep and cattle country with no arable.
Summer 2018 was hot and dry and we had no rain for months. I had a record crop of bramble and rosebay.

Plenty of trees in Suffolk (limes & S/Chestnut), bramble roots are pretty deep so there will hopefully be a 2nd crop.
At least with the bramble coming into flower the June gap will be short lived.
Welcome to the forum, a good source of info (& camaraderie) as you’ve already noted.

Good spring crop but like you we are desperate for water. Nectar drying up rapidly
E

Back