Hello from Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hiya, I've been a friend of the bees as just a regular person throughout life and occasionally have had those chats that just show an interest in the world of beekeeping, but until recently, never got around to taking time to learn all about it.
Im not sure I could ever become a beekeeper as I do tend to get a bit nervous when flying stingy things come at me and I do have an exzema problem and a connected problems with histamine allergies.

But anyway, Ive just made a book purchase to start learning as an absolute beginner.
I would like to go further into beekeeping but various issues make me feel like i wont become a bee keeper.

so.....Im just an admirer and supporter from afar.

Hi and welcome.
We have a forum member Kaz who started here some years ago absolutely petrified of any flying buzzing thing.
She runs hives with a friend, is a recorder for Bees Wasps and Ants, posts a regular blog and is involved in teaching.
I’ll see if she’s around to reply to you
You can find some of her posts here
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Hello and welcome, whereabouts in Scotland are you? My apiary is in Kirkmuirhill near Lesmahagow in central Scotland.

Hi and welcome.
We have a forum member Kaz who started here some years ago absolutely petrified of any flying buzzing thing.
She runs hives with a friend, is a recorder for Bees Wasps and Ants, posts a regular blog and is involved in teaching.
I’ll see if she’s around to reply to you
You can find some of her posts here
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Remember when the bees bearded after a hot day and someone from the forum who was local had to come out and stand with me to put an entrance block in?

im looking forward to when local groups or meetings can resume as i am aware of the local beekeepers association group. with the help of reading up on it and group events, i hope that i can eventually find a place for my hive should i decide to continue down that road.

thanks, ive saved that link for going back to anytime. im also waiting for my beekeeping for dummies book for some basic beginners reading.

thanks, ive saved that link for going back to anytime. im also waiting for my beekeeping for dummies book for some basic beginners reading.

Not the best
Better going for Haynes manual and a gentler Bees at the Bottom of the Garden

oh bother. i cant cancel the order know, its gone through. im not familier with the haynes books beyond the car manuals

Not the best
Better going for Haynes manual and a gentler Bees at the Bottom of the Garden

Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion will give you a better flavour of what is involved than the Dummies book .. good value for under a tenner on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...+of+the+garden&qid=1593252250&sr=8-1&dchild=1

The Haynes manual is brilliant if you decide to keep bees .. will guide you through the first couple of years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Manual...l+of+beekeeping&qid=1593252542&s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited:
I did mention already that i am aware of the local association so i will be looking them up when things get more back to normal freedom

I did mention already that i am aware of the local association so i will be looking them up when things get more back to normal freedom

Association membership is very useful when you feel ready to start - most usually run courses and will find you some bees to get started. Associate membership for non-beekeepers is normally a much lower subscription but you get the benefit of being a member, meeting people who keep bees, can attend lectures and apiary visits - but, as you say, at present there is no great rush until things return to some level of normality.

Caithness is about as far North as you can get on the Scottish mainland - parts have a fairly harsh climate and beekeeping in colder, wetter, areas has its challenges that local knowledge will help with. There are parts of the region that have a milder, more temperate, climate - depends very much on your locality - it's a varied region. Some areas you will be lucky to see temperatures averaging into the teens even in summer with rainfall significantly higher than much of Scotland. But ... bees survive.

Latest posts

Back