Hello From Portugal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting with twelve hives......wow.....good luck and welcome. What type of hives as they?

Starting with twelve hives......wow.....good luck and welcome. What type of hives as they?

I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking my two I'm starting with would keep my learning hands full.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hello and :welcome: ; your'e around 2054 kms south.
You have a big bee-smillieproject with so much to learn. Hope everything turns out okay. Wish you all the best.

12...my head is spinning. They'll keep you busy. Love to follow your progress.

Thanks for your warm welcome.

I will try to answer some of the questions.

The hives types mainly used in PT are "Lusitana" developed by a priest and more adapted to PT environment and local bees.

Then the hive evolved to "Reversível" which means that we can use the frames aligned with the bees entrance or put the frame perpendicular to the entrance, if we which that.

This hive pack has Reversível (9) and Langstroth (3) hives.

The bees are iberian black bee (two hives) and the rest Buckfast

welcome from the UK.

If you are starring with 12, how many do you hope to one day own?

Thanks.

Well, right now all I want is to learn and practice.

In the nearby future, I intend to increase the number of hives (it depends of the "day" job), being the magical number 400 hives.

Thanks.

Well, right now all I want is to learn and practice.

In the nearby future, I intend to increase the number of hives (it depends of the "day" job), being the magical number 400 hives.
That's quite some project. Looking forward to progress reports and photos.

I have the hives in southern Portugal, Algarve.

Here are two of the three apiaries:
ApiarioFL.jpg
ApiarioCP.jpg

The other hives are still in the previous owner apiary .

From July/August till now, I have to feed them, because as you notice, the land is too dry.

But early October, rain fell for a day or two and was enough to some local species produce some flowers.

The bees are foraging pollen and some nectar.

The land in the pics look too dry because the land is ploughed in order to protect the Trees from the wildfires.

From July/August till now, I have to feed them, because as you notice, the land is too dry.

But early October, rain fell for a day or two and was enough to some local species produce some flowers.

The bees are foraging pollen and some nectar.

The land in the pics look too dry because the land is ploughed in order to protect the Trees from the wildfires.
Thanks and welcome

Latest posts

Back