Hello from Liverpool!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaL

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello everyone, my daughter and I are new here, and hope to start our own hive next spring in the garden.

Hello Amanda, welcome.
Give us a little idea of your garden setting and location. Size, proximity to houses and neighbours etc.

thankyou everyone!!
well, its a large, square shaped garden, id say 75-100 feet square. fairly sunny, and lots of established bee friendly plants/ flowers were established this summer.
my daughter has completed a basic beekeeping course whilst she was at college, and has continued after graduating by going back to check on the hives during lockdown etc.
she is also currently helping a local community group who have a small allotment close to where we live.
we are hoping to purchase a hive and bees for our garden, and any advice will be very welcomed!!

sorry i missed out.....
not close to neighbours houses as detached, and area we have in mind is close to the rear aspect (we back onto a forest)
Id say it would be 40-50 feet away from our house

Backs onto a forest sounds very nice indeed. Only asking as the obvious concerns with garden bees, think 'flight path' when you position your hives.

Will do, thanks for the tip, we will no doubt be 'frequent flyers' (excuse the pun) to this forum, so much good advice, delighted to have found you all!!

A very decent size garden, nice.
I have some in a similar size garden at the wife's gran's bungalow in a built up village location, they do quite well for a static hive.

Backs onto a forest sounds very nice indeed. Only asking as the obvious concerns with garden bees, think 'flight path' when you position your hives.
Definitely think about the flight path. I got it wrong in my garden. A lovely colony to inspect, but attacked every time I hung out the washing because I was in their flight path. They are now in an out apiary with an unhindered flight path and are once again very happy, calm and beautiful bees.

AND
Much as I hate to say it
Have a back up site if you need to move them quickly. Neighbours can take offence at the drop of a hat at times.

Good luck -I remember in Liverpool you have some very large municipal parks across the City -good bee country !

Hello everyone, my daughter and I are new here, and hope to start our own hive next spring in the garden.
Apologies its a bit late but welcome also from me.
I hope you and your daughter enjoy your new hobby.

Lovely welcome!! Thank you all, really look forward to chatting :)

Greetings from Norfolk, Amanda. It sounds like your daughter is keen. I hope you have deep pockets for all the spare equipment you didn't realise you will need to buy, and also a shed/garage etc for storing it all. I'm fairly new to beekeeping and I find this forum a great source of support, ideas, information and frequently some amusing banter. There will be at least two/ten alternative answers for each question, but all are trying to do what they think is best for their bees. If she hasn't done so already, might I suggest that your daughter adds 'bee books' to her Christmas list, to gen up over the colder evenings. All the best.

Greetings from Norfolk, Amanda. It sounds like your daughter is keen. I hope you have deep pockets for all the spare equipment you didn't realise you will need to buy, and also a shed/garage etc for storing it all. I'm fairly new to beekeeping and I find this forum a great source of support, ideas, information and frequently some amusing banter. There will be at least two/ten alternative answers for each question, but all are trying to do what they think is best for their bees. If she hasn't done so already, might I suggest that your daughter adds 'bee books' to her Christmas list, to gen up over the colder evenings. All the best.
Haynes manual for beekeeping is a good one to start, my mentorees that are teens are finding the Haynes really easy to read there parents not so good:).

Go for it! Just remember that you may ask ONE question on here. It may seem innocent and unimportant...but OMG ....all hell may break loose! That's beekeepers fore yer. :love: :rolleyes::devilish::willy_nilly:

Haynes manual for beekeeping is a good one to start, my mentorees that are teens are finding the Haynes really easy to read there parents not so good:).
A Haynes manual? I never knew there was one! I have the Collins Beekeeper's Bible, Bees & Honey (Ted Hooper :love:) and a few others. I will look for the Haynes....as they are so useful. Many peoples cars have been left in bits though?:ROFLMAO:

A Haynes manual? I never knew there was one! I have the Collins Beekeeper's Bible, Bees & Honey (Ted Hooper :love:) and a few others. I will look for the Haynes....as they are so useful. Many peoples cars have been left in bits though?:ROFLMAO:

Here's a link.Here

Latest posts

Back