Hello from Edinburgh

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendrik

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I almost feel like a bit of a fraud signing up as a member and doing the official introduction, while I'm not a bee keeper and don't have the ability to start keeping bees at home. I would need to check the Deeds of our property, but I think there may be something mentioned in them about keeping bees, alongside the fact that according to them I can't keep livestock or even own more than one dog! Anyway, I just have a question or two which I'll post, but in the meanwhile - you're all obviously doing great work for nature, so keep up the good work! 👍

Hello and welcome. Is it safe to assume that you are interested in beekeeping?

Non-beekeepers often slide down the slippery slope into becoming beekeepers - you don't have to keep them at home - sites for out apiaries on farms or in large gardens can be found ... there are beekeeping associations in Edinburgh and you can join very cheaply as a non-beekeeper and get to know the craft ... and find out whether you fancy putting a toe on the slippery slope ...

Hello everyone.

I almost feel like a bit of a fraud signing up as a member and doing the official introduction, while I'm not a bee keeper and don't have the ability to start keeping bees at home. I would need to check the Deeds of our property, but I think there may be something mentioned in them about keeping bees, alongside the fact that according to them I can't keep livestock or even own more than one dog! Anyway, I just have a question or two which I'll post, but in the meanwhile - you're all obviously doing great work for nature, so keep up the good work! 👍
Welcome Hendrik. Ask away.
You could also join your local association. Most of them accept members who don't actually keep bees and very often other members offer sites for an apiary....so worth a punt

Hello and welcome. Is it safe to assume that you are interested in beekeeping?
Thank you! Beekeeping isn't something I've considered possible for me at all, but it actually sounds like a very interesting past time, and above all it seems more and more important nowadays to give nature a helping hand and encourage any pollinators!

Non-beekeepers often slide down the slippery slope into becoming beekeepers - you don't have to keep them at home - sites for out apiaries on farms or in large gardens can be found ... there are beekeeping associations in Edinburgh and you can join very cheaply as a non-beekeeper and get to know the craft ... and find out whether you fancy putting a toe on the slippery slope ...
Thanks very much - I've never looked into the possibility of getting into beekeeping, but if there are associations that sounds like a great way of getting into it!

Welcome Hendrik. Ask away.
You could also join your local association. Most of them accept members who don't actually keep bees and very often other members offer sites for an apiary....so worth a punt
Thank you! I can imagine that there are lots of people who are unable for numerous reasons to keep bees themselves, but would get a lot of joy from getting involved. I'm thinking that I wouldn't be allowed to keep bees myself, but I know that someone who keeps bees made an attempt to have a hive in suburban Edinburgh, in the Walled Garden on Corstorphine Hill. I was very excited by the idea, but unfortunately within no time some nitwits vandalised the hive... A real shame. There's not normally a lot of trouble in the area.

Thank you! I can imagine that there are lots of people who are unable for numerous reasons to keep bees themselves, but would get a lot of joy from getting involved. I'm thinking that I wouldn't be allowed to keep bees myself, but I know that someone who keeps bees made an attempt to have a hive in suburban Edinburgh, in the Walled Garden on Corstorphine Hill. I was very excited by the idea, but unfortunately within no time some nitwits vandalised the hive... A real shame. There's not normally a lot of trouble in the area.
Thats really *hit. Its worth trying again surely, use the Edinburgh Reporter and kick up a bigger fuss thats more than just a local 'story'. Since the local beekeeper is now out of pocket why not start a small crowd fund and get the people of Edinburgh involved. Don't let the setback become a failure.

There are a lot of beekeepers in Edinburgh. In private gardens and rooftops. The Festival Theatre and Summerhall (also maybe the big hotel in Princes Street) are two rooftops I can think of that have hives. Would be worth getting in touch with the EMBA (Association) if you’re interested in knowing more about keeping bees.

Deeds have all sorts of nonsense, like no caravans or more than one car, dog, chicken. No fences over 1m etc, they’d have a difficult time enforcing all those rules (made many years ago).

There are a lot of beekeepers in Edinburgh. In private gardens and rooftops. The Festival Theatre and Summerhall (also maybe the big hotel in Princes Street) are two rooftops I can think of that have hives. Would be worth getting in touch with the EMBA (Association) if you’re interested in knowing more about keeping bees.

Deeds have all sorts of nonsense, like no caravans or more than one car, dog, chicken. No fences over 1m etc, they’d have a difficult time enforcing all those rules (made many years ago).
I had a covernant on one property I owned. It prohibited me from having a fair in the front garden. I think they were safe on that one. The front garden was about 10'x20'.

Latest posts

Back