Hello from another new member!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee Me Up

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello Everyone!

I'm interested in possibly getting bees to keep at some stage. Where's the best place to start reading? I'm going to be interested in getting them for one or two (or possibly both) different areas - one in the middle of a largish wood, the other in a field in the open countryside.

Lots of questions to ask after this, but which venue stands a better overall chance of survival? e.g., from a food source point of view and from withstanding attacks from various sources (human and animal)?

Many thanks :)

There is a general rule which states you can never tell how good a site is untill you put some bees on it. However, if the wood is deciduous then there is every chance the bees will do fine. Put the bees in a clearing so they get a bit of sun and air. You can keep bees under trees, I know just such an apiary, but it can get a bit damp, especially in the winter.

Open countryside is also fine providing there are hedges and the odd copse near by. You can't relay on crops except for the short period they are in flower.

The bees need access to water so a stream or pond close by would be best but I don't think this is really so critical in the UK. The bees can usually find water somewhere.

Bees will survive more or less anywhere, but most people find sheltered sites where the bees get a bit of sun for at least part of the day best. Exposed, windy sites are not good. I had a couple of colonies, now reduced to one, on what looked an ideal site this year, but it was too exposed to the south west and they did not thrive, despite lots of mixed forage.

On a more general note, start with a couple of hives, no more I suggest. You can quickly work up from there if you wish.

Finally, make contact with your local beekeeping association!

Thanks for your input RoofTops :)

What generally concerns me before I start anything is what is there to go wrong - not to put me off entirely, but what challenges there are to face. This gives me a good starting point in trying to prevent those things from happening in the first place and so I'd like to ask generally, what is there to "go wrong" in bee-keeping?

I can think of vandalism / arson / scarcity of food / disease and predation perhaps by other animals, some of which I'd like to seek greater detail on - for example - what animals can wreck a hive? If we take the woodland scenario for instance - do birds, squirrels, deer, rabbits, badgers, foxes or voles interfere with hives in any way?

I've just come across a good section on the British Bee website which I've discovered is a good place to start reading, so shall do so now, but thanks for any other pointers!

Last edited:
If anyone wants to go to the link above its the bbka website..

I would not worry to much about vandalism / arson / scarcity of food / disease at this point in time because if you listen to the bbka to much there is a chance your bees will die from chemical endorsed poisoning anyway.

The post above is made tongue in cheek.
Welcome to the forum.

I expected better of you rather than apologise tounge in cheek why not just delete the posting

Maybe because we have a member who in there second post did a direct link to the BBKA website telling us all how good and informative it is,and then deleted the link after I posted.

Sorry if I suprised you Sherwood,would you not get defensive if someone came to a forum you ran telling you how good they are down the road and posting a link,I will get back in my box.

At least the admin on here has a sense of humour:cheers2:

Oh and hello bee me up

Oh blimey - here we go - only 2 posts and I've caused a scene! Nevermind, I'm quite used to forums and newsgroups, so its all part of the banter, although other new members not used to forums might wonder what on earth that was all about!

I didn't realise that links to other sites were not allowed. I deleted it once I saw it had been starred out. Anyway, 3 hours into a new world and I now gather that the "other site" is not a favourite then??? :boxing_smiley: :)

Bee me up,sorry about that,we are not a bad bunch here really,it's just the Admin who has a metal plate in his head that slips when a link is posted to the BBKA website.

The history is we started this forum when the BBKA exec got outed for hiding the fact they were getting money from chemical companies for endorsing insecticides and fed the funding through a seperate company.

You dont live far from me,what area are you in?

At least the admin on here has a sense of humour:cheers2:

Oh and hello bee me up

Hello bee me up, Dont listen to Admin, we dont:cheers2:

There is lots of history ref BBKA and this forum and most of it will be resigned to the history books as rubbish.

Diffrence between the two forums is like one being round at your Grans, dont speak until you are spoken to and even then you are always wrong.

And this forum is like been at your mad uncles house, who has all your mates round to get on with stuff.

Last edited:
and I now gather that the "other site" is not a favourite then??? :boxing_smiley: :)

First, Welcome, it my first full year on my own,( second winter) so still asking questions..they say the second and third years are the worst..you think you know it all...and the Bees then tell you that they dont read books

BBKa, in my veiw is not as freindly as this forum, here you can ask questions without people getting on their hobby horse or torched by people who think they know all about bees and you get replies like "but you should know you sill beek" & "dont ask such silly question"

a google search will get you some information or book like " bees at the bottom of the garden" is what is started with

TRY TO GET on a beginers course, NOW

you willthen be ready to get a beehive in summer....cost varies but your local Beekeepers assocation and insurance will be £25-£35 and courses are £35-£100....bees well that up to you, For your hive well best new or DIY, Thornes do a flat pack "second grade " BS National hive plus frames for £125 delivered or"first grade" but made up £300 orsend a private email to Hivemaker or Tom Blick on this forum who sell them (there are many others who also sell them)

Last edited:
Bee me up,dont get me wrong,at local level the BBKA is great with committee members putting in hundreds of hours helping new members.

Its at county and national level it all starts to get a bit dark and sinister..

As you can see we are all as mad as a box of frogs :cheers2:

And some try and keep it sane :toetap05: - but honestly- a great forum. Lots of help - and any who get uppity- get jumped on - politely. :boxing_smiley:
But we are all allowed an opinion. And as they say - ask 5 bee-keepers- get 10 answers :grouphug:

Welcome

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
You will find that most members are as mad as hatters!
The help and advice they give is excellent. Sometimes it takes a while to sort the wood from the trees, but generally replies are sound advice. Any typing errors please put down to the drink.
Please join a local association and do a beginners course. I have read dozens of books, (the bees don't) and local help can be absolutely vital. It also will give you access to the national Association and the bee inspectorate.
The comments about the BBKA are warranted but you must always bear in mind that they also believe thay are doing their best for beekeeping. They just have a constitution like the b****y EU that makes it impossible for ordinary beeks to have any democratic input.
As for siting your hives put one in each place. Make sure that you have close vehicular access to both as carrying a full super for a long way is difficult. Be aware that there may be periods of the year where foraging is difficult because of monocrop farming and fewer wild blooms that in days of yore:cheers2:

Well it sounds like I've come to the right place then, I prefer informal places where its better to ask than not to. No such thing as a silly question and all that!

I'm probably going to be a pain in the bum for a while asking loads of questions, but bear with me until I get into it!

So, first things first, what's a "super"?

OK
Dear Father Christmas - please may I have Practical Bee keeping by Clive de Bruyn. Lots of winter reading

Do not worry about silly questions - we have all asked some

And where do you live - if you specify then we can guide you to your nearest Association. Doesnt cost you anything to visit them - all advice and practical help will be there.

p.s. A super is the box above the queen area- where all the lovely honey is stored

Latest posts

Back