Hello from a Veterinary Student

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hello, my name is Hunter and I go to the Royal Veterinary College London but am originally from the USA. I don't have any hives as yet, but have been studying and learning to eventually be able to keep some and explore the ways Veterinarians can assist beekeepers in improving bee health.

Hi Hunter. There are a few medics on here and two vets. @Wilco who isn't in practice but teaches and me. I'm retired. Glasgow graduate. Welcome to our little world. I don't know about vet's improving bee health. Proper beekeepers know so much more than we do.....well me anyway.

I
Hello, my name is Hunter and I go to the Royal Veterinary College London but am originally from the USA. I don't have any hives as yet, but have been studying and learning to eventually be able to keep some and explore the ways Veterinarians can assist beekeepers in improving bee health.
Hi Hunter. There are a few medics on here and two vets. @Wilco who isn't in practice but teaches and me. I'm retired. Glasgow graduate. Welcome to our little world. I don't know about vet's improving bee health. Proper beekeepers know so much more than we do.....well me anyway.

Hi Hunter,

I'm an RVC grad. Which year are you in?

When you get to the clinical campus, you might be able to get in touch with the estates team or the farm team and see if you can get permission to keep a hive or two on the uni's land, they've got a fair chunk and there's some wonderful biodiversity in terms of plants and wildlife. Might also lead to some teaching or research opportunities... Let me know if you need any pointers for who to ask.

In terms of what vets can do, in the UK the picture is complicated as it's not really our remit, that falls to the National Bee Unit, and a lot of vets don't know this which has the potential to lead to problems. I did a placement with the NBU as part of my EMS and would encourage you to do the same- it was a very useful placement and a lot of fun. You may even be able to blag a pre-clinical placement with bees if you are earlier in the course and can find a full time bee farmer (@Erichalfbee any suggestions for full timers to approach on here?) and sweet talk the placements team.

Oh man, thank you both so much I definitely could have used this forum last year but just stumbled across today.

I am in my 4th year. Tried to do an RP2 project on bees having some hives on campus but failed to find a lead that would be interested in helping out.

I have been in touch with the National Bee Unit but haven't been able to get EMS yet. I keep trying to send some reminders and things like that but have a tough time getting the emails responded to (so if you have any contact recommendations there I would be interested in seeing if can get EMS this year or next spring) Fortunately, I was able to find a beekeeper down in Chedington near our Synergy Placement so I am going to take the weekend and look at her hives with her.

Oh man, thank you both so much I definitely could have used this forum last year but just stumbled across today.

I am in my 4th year. Tried to do an RP2 project on bees having some hives on campus but failed to find a lead that would be interested in helping out.

I have been in touch with the National Bee Unit but haven't been able to get EMS yet. I keep trying to send some reminders and things like that but have a tough time getting the emails responded to (so if you have any contact recommendations there I would be interested in seeing if can get EMS this year or next spring) Fortunately, I was able to find a beekeeper down in Chedington near our Synergy Placement so I am going to take the weekend and look at her hives with her.

Ok, so hives on site might be a challenge. Do get in touch with the farm, think Charlie was in charge last I heard, as I'm sure someone has bees up there and you might be able to help out if they're up for it. Probably a bit late in the course to get hives elsewhere on site.

Who did you email at the NBU?

I had heard back from Christina Ruiz in October 2021 who said she could get me in touch with my regional inspector for 2 weeks of EMS in 2022. Unfortunately, I have not heard back since despite sending follow up emails and have had to book other EMS for this spring/summer but would still hope to see about potentially the fall or Next Spring opportunities

Not sure about placements. I remember Emyr having one with Chris Broad? Years ago.
I’ll tag him and see who’s around and friendly 😉
@jenkinsbrynmair ?
Dunno about friendly, I think the best bet would be to get in tough with the BFA and see if anyone is willing to assist (I'm sure there will be)

Latest posts

Back