Hefting Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I hefted my hives today using digital luggage scales and got the following results. Do these sound about right for time of year. Have been feeding syrup, they’ve had about 10-12 pts now.
First one weighs 73lbs, 33kgs. Wooden omf, brood box, qx, poly crown board with built in eke, deep roof.
Second one weighs 71lbs, 32kgs. Wooden omf, brood box, super, qx, poly crown board with built in eke, shallow roof.
I’ve looked at the hive weights sticky post, but mine don’t quite match.
Many thanks,
Emily

They sound full of stores.. (I assume they are Nationals.)

I weigh mine without roofs.. they are heavier and get in the way of weighing.

BTW "hefting" in bee parlance is lifting up a side to see if the hive is heavy or light.. without the benefit of scales.. It is an art - as opposing to using scales which is a science :cool:

I use both methods: hefting to see quickly if a hive is light/heavy and weighing to ascertain by how much...

They sound full of stores.. (I assume they are Nationals.)

I weigh mine without roofs.. they are heavier and get in the way of weighing.

BTW "hefting" in bee parlance is lifting up a side to see if the hive is heavy or light.. without the benefit of scales.. It is an art - as opposing to using scales which is a science :cool:

I use both methods: hefting to see quickly if a hive is light/heavy and weighing to ascertain by how much...
Thanks.
They are nationals. I have screwed an eyebolt either side into the sides of the floor. Lifted each side just enough off the stand for the luggage scale hook to take the weight. Added each side together to get a rough total. I tried just lifting last year, and I couldn’t tell, so have gone for scales this year.

As Madasafish has mentioned, the roof is added weight that doesn't need to be there.
A two gallon drum of invert weighs 14kgs so considering the wood work, they sound fine. They are very frugal, mine generally just have three four pint feeds. If the Spring is stop, start or late, I add 1 kg of fondant.

Latest posts

Back