Hefting hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to a talk by Roger Patterson soon- hi is apparently into Ley lines... Anybody out there think they affect production and bee behaviour?
Is there proof?
Mind you don't trip over his dogs :)
VM

Hi I just weighed them with a spring balance on back edge out of curiosity,
We have dark coloured bees I don’t know their breeding.

Mind you don't trip over his dogs :)
VM

No, always stop to stroke them- they are fine--- Roger has an unusual demeanour- I think he means well, but takes no prisoners at his Assoc and 'culls' people he thinks are not good bee keepers. :smash:

Also he is scathing of our bee keeping courses, and writes as much- says people should be taught by long term beekeepers of 40 yrs experience, not 'new on the scene - just read a book and now want to rip you off , people'. Bit rude I thought. 6 years of experience with 20 hives, books , listening, learning- we seem to give great value.

No, always stop to stroke them- they are fine--- Roger has an unusual demeanour- I think he means well, but takes no prisoners at his Assoc and 'culls' people he thinks are not good bee keepers. :smash:

Also he is scathing of our bee keeping courses, and writes as much- says people should be taught by long term beekeepers of 40 yrs experience, not 'new on the scene - just read a book and now want to rip you off , people'. Bit rude I thought. 6 years of experience with 20 hives, books , listening, learning- we seem to give great value.
He did Lancashire last year ;) .
Only one dog with him other too old to travel the distances involved .
Didn't cull the moderators on the other forum but by God , he did a great job of discouraging them to the point of now having virtually no forum :)
VM

Now Then Now Then guys and gals, :sifone: this isn't supposed to be e bash Roger thread.. :)

John I thought you'd be an hour away looking at Jimmy Saville laid out???

Hi I just weighed them with a spring balance on back edge out of curiosity,
We have dark coloured bees I don’t know their breeding.

If you are weighing just by lifting either just the back or front edges using a spring balance that you are only effectively weighing half the hive weight you should double this to get the true weight,

only effectively weighing half the hive weight you should double this to get the true weight

Not a true weight and only a good approximation if the hives are full. If there happen to be four empty frames on the unweighed side....

May not be important but must be kept in mind.

RAB

only effectively weighing half the hive weight you should double this to get the true weight

Not a true weight and only a good approximation if the hives are full. If there happen to be four empty frames on the unweighed side....

RAB

bees fill evenly the frames. Food is never in one edge. If it is, you have 300% too much space for bees.

bees fill evenly the frames. Food is never in one edge. If it is, you have 300% too much space for bees.

Yeah, right!

6 Oct hive 3, 25kg, 06 Nov 22kg.

I daresay you can guarantee that they lose it evenly, too? Now has that hive lost only 3, or could it be 6kg... or even more?

I might have suggested re-reading post#14, but it may be a waste of effort, as your understanding of simple physic principles seems somewhat limited. Like, I wonder why they weigh both front and rear axles for lorries which are too long for a weighbridge and not rely on weighing a single axle? Why the weight (on the lifted side) will tend towards zero as the lifting height increases? Hives are no different than any other body with a variable centre of mass - the only way to get a definitive weight is to weigh both sides under the same conditions.

Remember too this is not a Langstroth, but a National, so the frames can be either parallel or perpendicular to the entrance. There can be empty frames, of which neither you nor I know about. As I said at the start, get real information to get real results. Anything less and you are guessing.

perhaps the dogs find the ley line intersections for him - the one i've seen spends ages strolling around venues then laying down in odd places.

perhaps the dogs find the ley line intersections for him

Or perhaps the warmest? Over a waste drain, in the most direct sunlight, minimum draught? The are probably better at that than humans...but you may be right, even ley lines are more likely to be detected by dogs (without dowsing rods) than humans.

RAB

Perhaps you should weigh the hive at each face and divide the total by 2

Unecessary, as there would be the possibility of 4 errors, (which must be considered as possibly additive(?) in the final assessment).

RAB

RAB

Run warm way and weigh from each side should improve accuracy?
VM

Going to a talk by Roger Patterson soon- hi is apparently into Ley lines... Anybody out there think they affect production and bee behaviour?
Is there proof?

No proof.

I'm sure someone tried to bring up ley lines in one of the lectures at the NHS, trying to see lines in incomplete data.

I weigh them only when I have feeded 2/3 of my sugar:

I only feed them after I have weighed them. :)

To me weighing is crude. One box hives I do not weigh. Two box hive must be minimum 25 kg and max 30 kg. I do not take heachache is it wrong or right but it works.

25kg - 30kg total?

Latest posts

Back