Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi knowledgeable people of the beekeeping world, I need some help and information regarding some unwanted visitors of your hobby/career.

Last year a ton (and i mean a ton) of honey bees took up residence in the fascia of our house. We were told by our local authorities that they wouldn't touch them because they are honey bees and are protected. They put us in touch with two beekeepers, one of which was retired and wasn't interested and the which just wasn't interested. However, they both said that during the winter they'd probably either move on or die off. This spring/summer, however, they are still here. This brings some concerns to me and my wife. Number 1, my sons bedroom window is right underneath where the bees are accessing the fascia and he can't have his bedroom window open in the summer heat because, naturally, the bees tend to come into the house (he's woken up several times with a bee on his bed somewhere and his girlfriend has been stung a couple of times). Our other concern is that the bees are producing honey in our fascia, which has now been building up over two years and we're worried that the weight of it is going to damage our house. Also, if we decide to move on nobody in their right mind is going to buy a house with a thriving bee population.

So can anybody please please please please tell me how to get rid of them?

Now you are on the right forum some one local will be along to assist.

Welcome to the best one in the UK!

PH

You need to pay someone to remove or kill the bees, then get rid of the comb! Then seal the entrance when everything has been put back together.

Honey bees are not protected...

I would estimate this will cost you somewhere in the region of 150 - 200 quid, plus your place may need a tower erected if its awkward. So add that cost on as well.

tell us where you live and someone on this forum that lives locally will come round and assess the situation for you

there are a number of Beeks on the forum that will extract the bees for you...

whereabouts in the UK are you??

I am a frequent visitor to Newmarket and Cambridge with work.

If a local on the forum can't help you out, if you can wait, I will be happy to extract them when I am next in the area (probably a couple of weeks time)

Hi knowledgeable people of the beekeeping world, I need some help and information regarding some unwanted visitors of your hobby/career.

Last year a ton (and i mean a ton) of honey bees took up residence in the fascia of our house. We were told by our local authorities that they wouldn't touch them because they are honey bees and are protected. They put us in touch with two beekeepers, one of which was retired and wasn't interested and the which just wasn't interested. However, they both said that during the winter they'd probably either move on or die off. This spring/summer, however, they are still here. This brings some concerns to me and my wife. Number 1, my sons bedroom window is right underneath where the bees are accessing the fascia and he can't have his bedroom window open in the summer heat because, naturally, the bees tend to come into the house (he's woken up several times with a bee on his bed somewhere and his girlfriend has been stung a couple of times). Our other concern is that the bees are producing honey in our fascia, which has now been building up over two years and we're worried that the weight of it is going to damage our house. Also, if we decide to move on nobody in their right mind is going to buy a house with a thriving bee population.

So can anybody please please please please tell me how to get rid of them?

Yes you must give a rough area location as someone like me, I am in Kent, would be happy to remove the colony, and yes, at a modest cost. It is good you have come to a forum such as beekeepingforum, it shows you are trying to do the right thing and NOT just get someone to come and kill the bees.

On the more technical side, if the bees are going in the fascia or soffit it may just be a case of someone removing a few rows of tiles, battens and lifting the felt back. From above they will have good access to both, in-between the rafters and the eaves. If the bees are there it should be reasonably easy to cut out of the comb and remove the colony.

But the above all depends on the age and build type of you’re house.
Steve.

And the forum shows it's strength.

Excellent.

So much faster than posting in the states...LOL

PH

Hi Steve,

you had any luck yet?

i work between suffolk and staff's, so may be able to help if you get stuck.

chances are it will have to be a trap out or partial dismantle to retrieve the colony, either way quite a big job, but not impossible....

drop me a line if you don't get anywhere, ok

have sent a message via beesource also, btw

cheers,

win

I am guessing most are without 3rd party liability insurance to carry out this type of work?

You are probably correct and it is good that you mentioned it. It did not give it a thought as my business is carpentry and general building so I already have Public and Employers Liability ins, so fortunate in that respect. But it does not cover me or my employees working on 3 storey property.

But it does pose the question, who can do it? I have only just done a cut out in a chimney but I had to supply my scaffold company 2 bee suits before they would go near the house when I said the word "bees".
Most builders would be the same, my apprentice looks on from a distance, but will not lend a hand.
Steve.

Folks, thank you for all your replies and suggestions. I'm going to try speaking to the people at the numbers in the local area first but if i don't get any joy then i'll take up one of the kind offers from ppl a bit further afield.

Once again, thank you all

I asked Jeeves ----
No bees have Protected Species status in the UK. But they are so vital to our biodiversity and ultimately to our ability to produce food that many believe that they should be offered some form of protection.

'Protected Species' are as designated by the Wildlife and Countryside Act (WCA) 1981 and in the case of insects by Schedule 5 of the Act. Neither honey bees, bumble bees or any other species of bee is included in the schedule.

Section 74 of the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW ) Act 2000 and Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act (2004) list a number of bees that are deemed of importance for the conservation of biodiversity and place certain conservation obligations on public bodies although this does not afford the bees themselves protection.

Likewise, the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN ) Red List of endangered species does not list any UK bees.

Cases involving prosecution of UK persons found to have killed bee nests have invariably been related to the misuse of poisons or health and safety.

I asked Jeeves ----
No bees have Protected Species status in the UK. But they are so vital to our biodiversity and ultimately to our ability to produce food that many believe that they should be offered some form of protection.

'Protected Species' are as designated by the Wildlife and Countryside Act (WCA) 1981 and in the case of insects by Schedule 5 of the Act. Neither honey bees, bumble bees or any other species of bee is included in the schedule.

Section 74 of the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW ) Act 2000 and Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act (2004) list a number of bees that are deemed of importance for the conservation of biodiversity and place certain conservation obligations on public bodies although this does not afford the bees themselves protection.

Likewise, the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN ) Red List of endangered species does not list any UK bees.

Cases involving prosecution of UK persons found to have killed bee nests have invariably been related to the misuse of poisons or health and safety.

Shhhhhhhh I have just convinced a local school that they cant kill the bumble bee's in their compost bin because they are protected. :icon_bs: I relocated them on Saturday :)

Back