Hedgerow Pete's beer - a taste test

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBrum

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 ish
Hedgerow Pete kindly gave me a bottle of his 'Private Reserve' - (under the stairs) as a parting shot, - er, I mean gift.

We had had a good chat about queen breeding under local conditions, and whether to use local bees to breed our own queens, or buy in specific queens and breed from them.

I had Beef Casserole part II (note to Fris - homemade by me) simmering gently awaiting my return, and thought Petes beer might be a good accompaniment.

It was presented in a dark brown ex-Grolsh bottle with the old-fashioned wire and ceramic stopper with rubber gasket. It looked good. Being apprehensive about traveling home in the car and sediments etc, I eased the stopper to a satisfying hiss but with no theatricals such as gushing foam or anything like that.

I selected a tall straight thin glass and began pouring gently in the proper tilted fashion. A mid to light coloured amber ale appeared with about an inch of creamy coloured head. It was clear and looked very good.

On the nose it gave a good sharp old-style freshly poured aroma. Most inviting.

Sampling the first glug was a delight, you can't buy beer like this, with a clear ale tending towards lager flavour, clean and sharp, but with all the hops, malt, and a touch of yeast that proper beer should deliver. Any excess sugar was absent on the palate. I could easily have done three in a row.

As a companion to my shin of beef and mushroom casserole it was sublime and I would suggest no-one passes up the opportunity to sample this brew if offered.

Thanks H Pete, - a truly magnificent bottle of proper beer. :cheers2:

That little piccy suggests that HP's beer might be wasted on you Onge.
Oh it was a before pic, sorry!

Another HP talent aptly and demonstrably brought to the fore.
JC, will you be directing any HP bee related videos? :grouphug: :)

Nah, Fris is the director round here ..... (duck to avoid brick) :)

Did somebody mention my name.....?

fantasy-19.gif

Frisbee

Ooer, now I'm in the doghouse ........ Hi Fris, .. Sweety-pie, ..... :redface:

Latest posts

Back