Heather honey 2022?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murray is reporting ok crops but he’s in Scotland
Curly green fingers says he’s doing well. He’s adding supers to his colonies on the heather. He’s in Shropshire
How is it Conwy way, Peter?

The heather between Maerdy and Ferndale ( Rhondda Fach), is looking good. My hives are about a mile from it, but I get very little honey from it.

had a call from the castle this morning - they needed more honey (goes down well with the grockles looking for souvenirs with a difference) so it was a good excuse to drive over the mountain and scope out the heather. All purpling up nicely and looking a damn sight better than a fortnight ago. It's san to see how the heather is forever retreating under the onslaught of bracken and scrub grass (all thanks to the usual mismanagement by the national park - clueless as how to manage moorland) I stood on the spot where, before I was born, my mother and grandfather (and Meg the spaniel) posed for a photograph, guns at the ready, knee deep in, and surrounded by heather as far as the eye could see - to mark the glorious twelfth.
Today it was still a fair half hour's hike before reaching any substantial heather. It's also the first time ever I've stood on the moor on the twelfth sans gun and sans spaniel.
Back at the home apiary tonight, the smell of heather honey ripening was obvious.

had a call from the castle this morning - they needed more honey (goes down well with the grockles looking for souvenirs with a difference) so it was a good excuse to drive over the mountain and scope out the heather. All purpling up nicely and looking a damn sight better than a fortnight ago. It's san to see how the heather is forever retreating under the onslaught of bracken and scrub grass (all thanks to the usual mismanagement by the national park - clueless as how to manage moorland) I stood on the spot where, before I was born, my mother and grandfather (and Meg the spaniel) posed for a photograph, guns at the ready, knee deep in, and surrounded by heather as far as the eye could see - to mark the glorious twelfth.
Today it was still a fair half hour's hike before reaching any substantial heather. It's also the first time ever I've stood on the moor on the twelfth sans gun and sans spaniel.
Back at the home apiary tonight, the smell of heather honey

Last edited:
Back at the home apiary tonight, the smell of heather honey ripening was obvious.
It's so sad when we lose the heather. GWCT doing their bit to try and slow the bandwagon.

I'm being optimistic that the recent wildfire on part of the heather near me might bode well for a few years down the line.

Which castle?

Grockles? Good to see you are respectful of your customers!

after a pessimistic forecast for here, I've just been rushing around the home apiary before the heavens open as they're shovelling in the heather, even three newly promoted nucs now begging for a second super.

Back