Heather dissapoints

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ling heather blossom up here in the northern Cairngorms is superb this year, really superb. Checked my two hives last week and they were getting busy with it. Don’t think I’ve seen the hills so purple
If anyone can take a photo of the heather in bloom, I'd love to see it:)

Looks like it might be a decent heather year for me at Morvil mountain in the Preselis
Only three hives up there but nearly a super of honey on each since the heather flowered and hives now having that lovely smell on opening.
Pembs NP do have controlled burning here. I am positive it has at last made a big difference as the mountain side now has large àreas of good coverage. They also started grazing with wild ponies to supplement the local sheep a couple of years ago. This has helped keep other stuff under control and allowed the mountIn side to purple up
We just need some heat. Some is starting to brown over so maybe that’s it.

If anyone can take a photo of the heather in bloom, I'd love to see it:)
Taken this afternoon, shame the colour on the left of the hills obscured by the cloud shadows

Attachments

• AF655253-D9C6-48D7-B70B-E17336FE0444.jpeg
    AF655253-D9C6-48D7-B70B-E17336FE0444.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
A second hive is on the heather now. Funny that they are not all on the heather as there is not much else going?

Hi I've just put clearer boards on 4 hives, one super on each hive is capped and the second is full of nectar.

We then went to Corley which is 4 miles away from catherton common and two colonys have supers of Heather to take of.
Corley is a new apiary this year and still just on the edge of the hill.. Walking around there is Heather down there to, you can see it flowering in the distance.

Here's some pictures of catherton today. IMG_20200829_112830.jpgIMG_20200829_112711.jpgIMG_20200829_112703.jpgIMG_20200829_112744.jpgIMG_20200829_112757.jpg

Only 14 c and very windy today not much foraging going on, but if the weather comes good again hopefully there will be more Heather honey.

My first year for Heather and I will be moving more colonys next year maybe 20 or so.. If it looks as good as it has this year.

Latest posts

Back