Heather crop 2009

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Once agian I ran out of time so never took any bees to the heather this year,even though my nearest site is under 10 miles away!

I have been getting reports back that the brood boxes of friends that did go are jammed with Heather honey but the supers have hardly been worked.

I was driving through the New forest about a month ago and the Heather looked amazing,just goes to show that the weather really is important for a good crop.

How has it been in other heather venues this year?

In a word, carp,but have known it worse,the most usless bee's i have ever come across for heather work are the caniolans,never again for them,they really only have one use,making up nuc's and adding different queens,they are still bursting with bee's.

I used, (shock horror) to strip the BB's of heather. Oddly I got some third to half our crop from there. The math at the time went like this, sugar some 60P a kilo, note kilo, and heather in the jar some £4-75/pound.

Best Heather bees are AMM.

PH

Last edited:
Best heather bee's round here are the buckfast type strains.they have all filled the brood box's solid with honey,the carni's have filled the box's solid with more brood.
Think there may of been lots of AMM round here 100 years ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back