Heather 2021

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a fab heather crop last year at home. I make sure the colony has a young queen (that season) and I unite a Nuc in July ahead of the flow to boost the foraging force. There are lots of techniques re preparing the brood box, most people constrain to a single box and max 2 supers of predrawn comb. Best to watch Tony Jefferson - one of our best Heather men in Yorkshire - on the Bibba webinar series, he covers it well.
Here’s some pics of my extraction last year, yummy 😋

Can you say which honey press you are using?

My friendly gamekeeper reports bell is already out and ling well on it's way. 1-2 weeks early and I need to get a wiggle on 😳

bell is already out
Bell has been coming in heavily on Surrey heath for about ten days, which makes up for two years of nothing.

The big difference this year: plenty of rain in the eight weeks leading up to flowering. Heath is sandy and without rain it produces nothing; moorland is on peat which retains water better.

Reactions: mbc
Bell has been coming in heavily on Surrey heath for about ten days, which makes up for two years of nothing.

The big difference this year: plenty of rain in the eight weeks leading up to flowering. Heath is sandy and without rain it produces nothing; moorland is on peat which retains water better.

Whereabouts are you based? I get the impression you're close to me (Farnborough). About to go check out Frensham common bloom now.

Whereabouts are you based? I get the impression you're close to me (Farnborough). About to go check out Frensham common bloom now.
About 6km east of Frensham.

The bell has been producing for at least two weeks, but I want to get Ross Rounds or cut comb on, in case the ling produces (it's filled about 37 cells in four years).

About 6km east of Frensham.

The bell has been producing for at least two weeks, but I want to get Ross Rounds or cut comb on, in case the ling produces (it's filled about 37 cells in four years).

You are close then. You're in a nice area over there!

Sadly took a circuitous route partly due to road closure so was dark when I was near the common, will try again when I check the Frensham apiary tomorrow. Passed the edge of Surrey Heath but wasn't convinced there was much heather flowering although hard to see from the road at dusk. Still a few sweet chestnuts smelling aromatic though.

You're in a nice area over there!
Took me a year of meeting farmers and talking to all sorts in the local pub before I found a spot 200 yards from the Commons.

Natural England were helpful but regretted that due to the precautionary principle, honey bees were forbidden on their land due to the concern of forage competition.

At that time, a barmaid said she'd been walking her dog and saw a vehicle unloading hives on the Common. The rangers were grateful for the news.

That's two .... but what did the Romans ever do for us ?
Aye it is.

Many of our buildings and how they are heated, the way we get rid of our sewage, the roads we use, some of our wild animals, religion, the words and language we speak, how we calculate distances, numbers and why we use money to pay for goods were all introduced by the Romans.:giggle:

Aye it is.

Many of our buildings and how they are heated, the way we get rid of our sewage, the roads we use, some of our wild animals, religion, the words and language we speak, how we calculate distances, numbers and why we use money to pay for goods were all introduced by the Romans.:giggle:

:LOL: the life of Brian haven't seen that for a while!
So what did the Romans do for us.. A bit slow as usual mark:unsure:
It's been a long week! I extracted 9 supers today and put them back on hopefully the break in the weather on the weekend doesn't stop the flows?
I've heard on the grapevine that in some parts of Herefordshire the flow has slowed down already.
Still good up here the blackberry was buzzing today there will be loads of fruit about for jellys and cordial.
What's the flows like with you better than last summer anyway here.

Took me a year of meeting farmers and talking to all sorts in the local pub before I found a spot 200 yards from the Commons.

Natural England were helpful but regretted that due to the precautionary principle, honey bees were forbidden on their land due to the concern of forage competition.

At that time, a barmaid said she'd been walking her dog and saw a vehicle unloading hives on the Common. The rangers were grateful for the news.

I'm fortunate in knowing a landowner that way, although not quite as close as 200 yards! Fortunately my Jazz is more accomplished at off roading than a friend's Defender!

WRT the smell, I'll keep a nostril on alert next time I'm there!

Aye it is.

Don't forget a lot of our trees too!

It's been a long week! I extracted 9 supers today and put them back on hopefully the break in the weather on the weekend doesn't stop the flows?
I've heard on the grapevine that in some parts of Herefordshire the flow has slowed down already.
Still good up here the blackberry was buzzing today there will be loads of fruit about for jellys and cordial.
What's the flows like with you better than last summer anyway here.
Hi mate, how did you get the 9 off and was there any fresh nectar shaking from them?

Hi mate, how did you get the 9 off and was there any fresh nectar shaking from them?
I've been banking capped frames leaving them on the top a few spots when shaking and three quarters capped the supers below arnt capped.
I didn't use clearer boards.
The refractometer was saying 18.9 on some which was the highest reading.
That bucket has been left today in the conservatory covered over and I'm going to leave it in there untill tomorrow and then check it again.
Im extracting summer honey and jarring spring honey at work tomorrow all the brood boxes on the top of the stacks are capped, but still loads of supers not capped. (summer).
The colonys near the vetch had more boxes today one of your colonys are on double with a 1 brood box and 5 supers I've never had colonys like it mate.

There are alot of frames not capped in hives is it the same with you?

Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back