Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Hi I have some more young queen's in single brood which have a super on they have 7 + frames of solid brood could I take these to the Heather and add them to my 10 that are already there in single brood with 2 supers on.

The colonys in question have 3/4 frames of capped honey in from the flows which have eased somewhat?

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
If you plan to put bees to the heather you need to strip any normal honey stores off them so that the supers have nothing but heather in

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Or leave it on and have a blend if you’re not fussy. I’ve had lovely blended honey from a couple of forum members in the past. Bees weren’t on the moors but the moors were close. Still needs different extraction though.

Foxylad 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Please don’t take bees to the heather with no stores. If the weather turns bad which it can often do. Large hives will starve very quickly.

Amari 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If you plan to put bees to the heather you need to strip any normal honey stores off them so that the supers have nothing but heather in
Or leave it on and have a blend if you’re not fussy. I’ve had lovely blended honey from a couple of forum members in the past. Bees weren’t on the moors but the moors were close. Still needs different extraction though.
I assume your heather is mainly ling. The problem at Dunwich Heath on the east coast of Suffolk is that the bell heather continues in best-ever glorious bloom, since mid June, and the ling is just bursting bud. I've had one hive there since mid June and took a second a few days ago. Inevitably the honey will be mixed. It's a 75 minute drive each way so not easy to manipulate the supers.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

Amari 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
That's an interesting link.
1. Author mixes ling and OSR 50/50 and labels as 'Heather blend honey'. Reduces danger of fermentation of pure ling and preferred by customers because less strongly flavoured.
2. He places first tray of Apiguard on hive a week or two before extracting. He doesn't mention possible thymol tainting.

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Please don’t take bees to the heather with no stores. If the weather turns bad which it can often do. Large hives will starve very quickly.
The brood boxes have good stores.
I checked them today on the mynd and stiperstones ling is starting to flower, I removed some capped frames and left the un capped it will probably be a good mix if it comes of.
I have 10 of my own up there and I'm moving more this week.

Reactions: mbc

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Just a question I've only got two drawn supers for each single brood, I was going to try a few doubles as well I've three doubles on 18 frames of brood Is there a chance they will draw some frames for cut comb I have a load of thin frames with no self spacers on and some thin unwired wax I've found.
Would it be best to see if the flow comes of first? And then add the supers with these frames if it comes about?

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
They draw like hell on a good flow of heather, and if there is a good flow you'll probably need more than two supers for each hive

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Thanks for the heads up but I've made sure they have good stores in the brood and there is un capped frames in the supers.

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
They draw like hell on a good flow of heather, and if there is a good flow you'll probably need more than two supers for each hive
I have more made up of foundation ( wired incase)
But I would like some cut comb do you think 3-4 2 drawn and two undrawn ( thin unwired) would do?
So that's four for each colony?

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I have more made up of foundation ( wired incase)
But I would like some cut comb do you think 3-4 2 drawn and two undrawn ( thin unwired) would do?
So that's four for each colony?
Just avoid putting thin foundation on if very warm / hot weather, if we get any in mid august, it collapses if very hot as v fragile, found from from bitter experience. Best to get drawn in ‘normal’ weather. Ling is just opening into flower in my area, flow should start in about 10 days.

Attachments

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
IMG_20210728_101045.jpgIMG_20210728_100905.jpgIMG_20210728_100840.jpgIMG_20210728_100655.jpg
Just finished moving more colonys to the common, I'm moving more tonight..
Photos were taken half hour ago..... I'm buzzing...the Heather is looking lovely it rained last night but it's bogy ground anyway.

Last edited:

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

Latest posts