Heat wave from Moscow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
We got summer weather to Finland. Next 5 days day temp will be 20-25C and night temp above 10C.

http://www.fmi.fi/saa/paikalli.html?Keywords=&station=2830&param=4&map=1&place=Kouvola

I have feeded pollen patty 5 weeks. Colonies have become smaller becaus lots of flying bees have died out under 10C weathers.

One thing I have noticed. When bees eate pollen patty, bees cannot get drinking water if sun is not shining several hours. And bees get thirsty and they cannot eate patty. They slow down larva feeding.

Last edited:
Temp inWigan 11 degrees at best, frost over night bees flying freely bringing loads of pollen in , one colony making swarm preperations :).

John Wilkinson

John,
Are your Bees drinking lots of water?
Mine are, every possible source is being investigated, the bird bath where several bees drown. around the drains, Yuck.
Also I have some potted young plants that I put out during the day, they are in potting compost, and because they are moist there are hundreds of bees sucking up the moisture.
I have never see this before have you?
Bob. G1SOU

Its probably got something to do with the volcano !

Are your Bees drinking lots of water?.....I have never see this before have you?

Larvae are fed on nectar and pollen after 3 days. Lots of brood and no nectar coming in should answer your question.

Regards, RAB

Hi Bob G1 sou,
I have seen this b4, only earlier in Springtime when the bees are uncapping and needing to dilute stores . Mine used a partially silted pond about 40 yards away. This is now completely silted up , however there is a brook meandering within 50 yards ,I suspect this is now their water source .
Manchester beekeepers apiary had a dripping hosepipe causing a huge damp patch in the soil which was Mecca to the bees :).

73s John Wilkinson

Last edited:
Ah! the benefits of a continental climate :),
Still I wouldn't swap for my maritime Winters.
Dandilions have been in bloom for weeks here but my bees don't take advantage of them ,obviously something more attractivr on offer !

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back