Haynes or Hooper?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey 80% of beekeepers agreeing. What a wonderful world that would be! 🤣

Agreeing about what?

Probably 80% of all beekeepers would agree the other 20% are wrong.

On everything else, highly dubious.

For example : reading some posts here describing situations some bee hives are in, I cannot agree with myself what the cause of the problem is.

because I don't really rate it, read it, found it sadly lacking - much like his first book
It was one of the first books i had as a present, I grant you there are better ones like the Haynes manual which I would recommend and have done.
My favourite is Manleys honey farming which I'm trying to follow with colonys on the Heather that's a cracking book to read.

because I don't really rate it, read it, found it sadly lacking - much like his first book
Agree - I was given one his manuals as my first bee book , which I found way too technical for a beginner. And he advocates the use of matchsticks…… :nono:

Thanks all. Think I'm going to go for Haynes now and de Bruyn as their Christmas present
I have lent the Haynes to a couple of people interested in keeking bees. One had not realised how much there is to keeping bees - not just buy a hive and then take off the honey. He decided against the other is now an enthusiast.

My favourite is Manleys honey farming which I'm trying to follow with colonys on the Heather that's a cracking book to read.
If I was taking bees to the Heather I'd be mining ITLDs posts here and on twitter.... which really is no different to Manley recommending reading back issues of the journals (and keeping a note book to jot down sentient points and page numbers)

Edit: salient

Last edited:
If I was taking bees to the Heather I'd be mining ITLDs posts here and on twitter.... which really is no different to Manley recommending reading back issues of the journals (and keeping a note book to jot down sentient points and page numbers)
Will do thanks for the heads up ;)

Clive De Bruyn - Practical beekeeping. More readable than Hooper, and pretty much the same content.

When I heard him speak, I thought how poor the lecture was.

A lot of "this is how I do it, but you should do it differently". Not my favourite.

Latest posts

Back