Haynes or Hooper?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
10,141
Reaction score
1,461
Location
Stoke on Trent
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Blimey 80% of beekeepers agreeing. What a wonderful world that would be! 🤣

Agreeing about what?

Probably 80% of all beekeepers would agree the other 20% are wrong.

On everything else, highly dubious.

For example : reading some posts here describing situations some bee hives are in, I cannot agree with myself what the cause of the problem is.
 

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
1,915
Location
Titterstone clee South Shropshire
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
because I don't really rate it, read it, found it sadly lacking - much like his first book
It was one of the first books i had as a present, I grant you there are better ones like the Haynes manual which I would recommend and have done.
My favourite is Manleys honey farming which I'm trying to follow with colonys on the Heather that's a cracking book to read.
 

Moobee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jan 8, 2020
Messages
284
Reaction score
225
Location
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3
because I don't really rate it, read it, found it sadly lacking - much like his first book
Agree - I was given one his manuals as my first bee book , which I found way too technical for a beginner. And he advocates the use of matchsticks…… :nono:
 

holmbee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Messages
117
Reaction score
69
Location
Dorset
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
5
Thanks all. Think I'm going to go for Haynes now and de Bruyn as their Christmas present
I have lent the Haynes to a couple of people interested in keeking bees. One had not realised how much there is to keeping bees - not just buy a hive and then take off the honey. He decided against the other is now an enthusiast.
 

Markthebuilder 

House Bee
Joined
Apr 8, 2015
Messages
327
Reaction score
182
Location
Newcastle
Hive Type
none
Just recived de bruyn. eBay £10. Only intended to skim a few pages but seams easy reading or rather I’m enjoying a lie in reading it.
 

rolande 

Field Bee
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
739
Reaction score
462
Hive Type
other
My favourite is Manleys honey farming which I'm trying to follow with colonys on the Heather that's a cracking book to read.
If I was taking bees to the Heather I'd be mining ITLDs posts here and on twitter.... which really is no different to Manley recommending reading back issues of the journals (and keeping a note book to jot down sentient points and page numbers)


Edit: salient
 
Last edited:

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
3,961
Reaction score
1,915
Location
Titterstone clee South Shropshire
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
If I was taking bees to the Heather I'd be mining ITLDs posts here and on twitter.... which really is no different to Manley recommending reading back issues of the journals (and keeping a note book to jot down sentient points and page numbers)
Will do thanks for the heads up ;)
 

Jules59 

New Bee
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
22
Location
Warwickshire
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
4
Any comments regarding David Cramp's "A practical Manual of Beekeeping" ?
 

sipa 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
649
Reaction score
70
Location
Newbury
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Clive De Bruyn - Practical beekeeping. More readable than Hooper, and pretty much the same content.
When I heard him speak, I thought how poor the lecture was.

A lot of "this is how I do it, but you should do it differently". Not my favourite.
 

roche 

Field Bee
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
935
Reaction score
56
Location
Newburyish
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6
When I heard him speak, I thought how poor the lecture was.

A lot of "this is how I do it, but you should do it differently". Not my favourite.
Maybe he writes better than he speaks. Or spoke.
 

Latest posts

Top