Hayfever

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would like to know who else saw improvement in the degree to which they get hayfever after eating their own (local) honey.
I used to get it quite bad but since last year its virtually gone apart from the tingling throat now and again. This made me to believe there is truth in them saying to eat local honey containing pollen.

Now... my partner started to get it very bad the last two years- runny swelled eyes, flu symptoms and the worx; yeah thats karma for you!

Does not work for me, still get a runny nose when pollen count is high but if it does it for you go for it

co-incidence or not i have managed to get 2 people who suffered badly to eat my honey thats cos its close to where they live, one guy said i havnt seen OSR this year, i reminded him that there was a field, of OSR 200 meters from his work, both have not had hay fever since.

Well - it works for me. I could FEEL a field of OSR before actually seeing the flowers. Mowing the grass was a nightmare most weekends. Now, I can manage hives in the middle of 200 acres of OSR and the grass is OK too.

A friend who lived next to a field of OSR felt much better days after eating OSR honey and asked for a jar of "Preventive" this year.

I'm an Engineer, not a "crystals and Vibrations" person, and don't usually go for "alternative" anythings.... but while it works for me, I'll not knock it!

Jc

Still suffering sadly. Not quite so bad this year but the weather's been aweful:rolleyes:

My hayfever's disappeared since I started keeping bees... must be all the antihistamines I'm taking for the stings! :biggrinjester:

I've sold half a dozen jars in the past month or so to a guy whose son and other family members suffer from hayfever. Another woman may come and get some off me, too.
I, however, MAKE NO CLAIMS. But if it works for them, good luck to them.

Last edited:
I got an e-mail a few weeks ago from a local guy who asked me for some pollen to see if it would help his wife's hayfever/ general allergies. The weather last week allowed me a day's pollen-trap, so I put that modest amount into a phial after drying and left it for him to collect.

So here's the recipe for turning a sprinking of pollen into a bottle of Bermondsey Gin ....make sure that the guy to whom you give the pollen owns the local distillery!

I have asked him to let me know whether the pollen has any beneficial effect on his wife's allergies (the effect of his gin on me is rather more predictable....)

local honey works for me. Second season since eating local honey regularly (obv my own now) and i have only take 2 tablets again this year - and one of those was a precautionary before I went flying.

Prior to last year I would need to take tablets regularly for 3 weeks during the main allergy period, and occasional ones outside that.

I know it is currently the period where I would be suffering badly because I can feel my windpipe a bit constricted. I would normally have a streaming nose, sneezing, itchy eyes AND wheezy throat right now.

I would guess / assume it works in much the same was as desensitizing your system by taking small doses of the local pollen contained in the local honey regularly.

Never having suffered myself I would not know but it seems to make sense to me that it would work this way. Not 100% cure or guaranteed to work for everyone but if it helps some, then it's great!

@Luminos, PM me your address and I will ship you some of my honey at a discount :rofl:

@Luminos, PM me your address and I will ship you some of my honey at a discount
:cheers2: :rolleyes:

My hayfever's somewhat improved since taking up beekeeping. However, I find beestings are FANTASTIC for suppressing pain and inflammation from osteoarthritis. Anyone else find that?

I don't have awful problems, but the usual stiffness and aches that accompany my fifth decade. However, stings in the fingers generally greatly reduce pain and swelling in the joints (even if the soft tissue is distended).

Any beeks in the Cardiff area able to supply local honey to my daughter who is suffering hay fever like crazy. Our local Shropshire honey doesn't seem to help her now she has moved and damson jam is equally ineffective, tho she still takes it off me in great quantities!

Never really noticed any benefit with local honey but I do get streaming nose and eyes during every hive inspection and it's hard to blow your nose with a veil on

I DO NOT GET HAYFEVER...NEVER HAVE ...BUT...every time I open a hive or process honey? My nose is not a pretty sight...it runs...really badly, to the point that I now pin a hankerchief inside my bee-suit...

I started eating local honey long before I started to keep bees. I suffered from eczema and when I was at a County show showing my pigs; It was the Royal Bath and Western, I mentioned my condition to a friend of mine who as well as keeping pigs He also kept bees. He suggested that I should source some local honey and have a table spoon full every day and that should get rid of the eczema. This I did and I must say it works; why I really dont know

Back