Hay making in Autumn !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we’re getting to the end of 2020....not a moment too soon I hear you cry. We officially enter Autumn this week and while the weather seems set fair for a few days looking ahead the temperatures are starting to fall and overnight temperatures are certainly dropping. This’ll mean the bees take that little bit longer to get going and that little bit longer to evaporate any excess water from their ivy haul. And it looks like it’s going to be a good ivy year too.

Yesterday I fed and treated 23 colonies at the home paddock apiary and they were all extremely active and strong too. Such a shame our beekeeping season is so short really as you get the feeling if it was warmer or even mid summer the bees would be pulling in a fantastic surplus right now. However, egg laying is diminishing and while one NUC needed a second story as they were simply bursting out of their 6 frames, the rest will just have to survive the winter on what they have.
The broken hand continues to mend - I like to think my increased volume of dairy is helping with calcium overload. The hardest thing is keeping up to date with the physio therapy exercises designed to maintain movement.

Admittedly, I slightly over did it yesterday as I also topped the paddock (photos below) cropping the meter long grasses back to be raked off and hopefully spread the wildflower seeds about a bit.
I’ve got some yellow rattle on order as it apparently out competes and devours cooch grass.

The final part of the day was spent filling up cans of syrup with thymol / hive alive / syrup only for the final blast of feeding around the apiaries. I’ve still got some honey to take off in a couple and am busy bottling as demand remains strong.

Winter is coming!

Attachments

• 90E906DC-3094-4DE2-858F-6E0FD22B96D8.jpeg
    90E906DC-3094-4DE2-858F-6E0FD22B96D8.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 2097F034-E049-4960-BCA1-23CB027CAE03.jpeg
    2097F034-E049-4960-BCA1-23CB027CAE03.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 81D9EB7F-0CBE-40B6-B932-C6F9D22CB0B2.jpeg
    81D9EB7F-0CBE-40B6-B932-C6F9D22CB0B2.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 13
I’ve got some yellow rattle on order as it apparently out competes and devours cooch grass.
It also depletes the ground of nutrients which means grasses like couch and rye struggle whilst wildflowers and traditional meadow plants thrive.
Talking of hay making - the last few weeks has really taken me back to when I was about 13/14. We'd had a poor wet summer so had been unable to bring in the hay, the ground was boggy and my uncle's (more modern) tractors struggled to get on to our land and were forever getting stuck. then weather like this came along, we managed to mow the hay with a lighter tractor, turned it by hand (getting the school bus to drop us off near the fields - we didn't live on our farm) and harvested it the traditional way with a horse and cart.
Great memories

Previous image
Crying the neck this year "socially distanced" on the 12th September
The reaper binder was finish off bailing the final field of straw
Yesterday our 40 acre field had the final cut of haylidge all wrapped and ready to go
140 colonies still need to finish off the final third fill of their gallon English feeders... so my beekeeping year is not over quite yet... and Crow pie tonight... the Equinox is here!

Yes the Autumn Equinox, the time when the Sun is exactly above the Equator - day and night are equal lengths, will be at 14:30 today.

Latest posts

Back