Hawthorn honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you just extract then put it though a 0.5mm sieve and jar it?
I extract then put it through a double strainer - the coarse 1.5mm strainer takes out the bulk of the wax flakes which means the honey goes through the fine filter without it clogging every five minutes. - this is probably where you're going wrong? as I said, there's no need for a muslin strainer unless you're showing (although I still seldom bother) I dount you'll find any wax flakes in the honey after double straining, in fact my honey usually sits around in large settling tanks for a few days (convenience more than necessity) and I hardly see any more wax or anything else settling to the surface.

Melting comb
Melting honey
a vehicle packed full of robbing bees
Reminds me of helping a local beek a few years ago. I cleared and removed four supers and put them inside his van then having ensured all doors and windows were closed I went home for lunch. I returned an hour later to clouds of bees surrounding the van with doors wide open.
Amazed to be told there were a few bees in the van so he'd opened the doors to let them out. 😆😆😆
You can only help so far - another case of an experienced beekeeper with several years of beekeeping behind him ☹

Stupidity can come in many forms.

Clearer boards on for between 12 and 24 hours. I've never had an issue with crystalisation, but the longer the super of dandelion stays on the hive, the quicker it starts to set once removed and left lying around.
As an aside I've never felt the need or the urge to push any honey through muslin apart from sometimes when showing.
Many thanks. Good to know.

I did 3 hawthorn supers yesterday. Coarse filtering only and today it will go through the fine one after heating up in warm water. Still debating on whether I prefer the dandelion or hawthorn honey.

Reactions: mbc
I extract then put it through a double strainer - the coarse 1.5mm strainer takes out the bulk of the wax flakes which means the honey goes through the fine filter without it clogging every five minutes. - this is probably where you're going wrong? as I said, there's no need for a muslin strainer unless you're showing (although I still seldom bother) I dount you'll find any wax flakes in the honey after double straining, in fact my honey usually sits around in large settling tanks for a few days (convenience more than necessity) and I hardly see any more wax or anything else settling to the surface.
Thanks. I have ordered a double metal strainer (1.5mm/0.5mm).

Extract through a coarse sieve into buckets. Warm and run through a fine sieve when you intend to jar it.
Thanks. I have ordered a double metal strainer (1.5mm/0.5mm).
Like how swarm said coarse sieve and then let the honey settle you will find all of the smaller wax and depris will float to the top of the buckets.( in 24/36 hrs)
At this stage you can use cling film to clean the top layer of by placing it on the honey and peeling the cling film of slowly the wax sticks to the cling film this waxy honey gets used for home use. This works every time.
I then sieve through the fine sieve into jars when I want to jar up, I don't label up but put our batch /best before label on the bottom of the jar which is hand written ready for the main label and easy enough to know which apiary site the honey has come from.
As to temp minimum of 30c in the extraction room higher if you can stick it not essential but jarring honey or even bucketing honey when cold is slow.

Yes, a very rich maltosey honey, thick, dark and glutinous.
This is dandelion and harwthorne if only there was more of it.
IIMG_20210610_205329.jpg
2021 spring honey

And these are samples of spring honey from our highest apiary. IMG_20210617_083922.jpg
Im taking these samples to a restaurant in ludlow.
The one on the left tastes madisanal apologies for the spelling.

Latest posts

Back