Having a mare with hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbeez

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, TimBeeZ here, I’m relatively new been at it for approx 3 years.. Im Presently having a mare with a hive, originated as a queenless swarm, which was super aggressive, I gave them a frame of Mixed eggs larva, they drew 5 queen cells, cell hatched and the remaining cells were torn down by hive, however still no sign of queen the closest I can see was this, however not convinced, what are your thoughts, adolescent green or just a different lady. Thinking of merging with a weaker hive that has a queen, or is queen waiting for remainder of brew to hatch before she starts laying, secondly the ladies have just filled brood with capped honey.

Attachments

• 3991089F-5DBE-4985-84C4-81E484AB6469.jpeg
    3991089F-5DBE-4985-84C4-81E484AB6469.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • 19DF6C6F-F6E7-41FB-9626-0F2FE518E330.jpeg
    19DF6C6F-F6E7-41FB-9626-0F2FE518E330.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
Hi all, TimBeeZ here, I’m relatively new been at it for approx 3 years.. Im Presently having a mare with a hive, originated as a queenless swarm, which was super aggressive, I gave them a frame of Mixed eggs larva, they drew 5 queen cells, cell hatched and the remaining cells were torn down by hive, however still no sign of queen the closest I can see was this, however not convinced, what are your thoughts, adolescent green or just a different lady. Thinking of merging with a weaker hive that has a queen, or is queen waiting for remainder of brew to hatch before she starts laying, secondly the ladies have just filled brood with capped honey.
Looks like a drone to me.

Give another test frame.

Thanks, i think I will just merge with weaker hive that has queen but leave queen excluder in place 🙏
No I wouldn't, especially if the nightmare colony is stronger, till I was sure they were queen less. Add another test frame for three days

When did the swarm arrive?

How long ago did the queen emerge from this cell?

When did the swarm arrive?

How long ago did the queen emerge from this cell?
Hi Boston, swarm arrived on the 8th June, gave x2 frames of mixed brood, which settled them down, 24-25th hatched and remainder taken down by hive, what gets me is they’ve filled all the drawn cone in the brood box with capped honey, not the usual around the edges if she was about to start laying, I mean rammed full, I’ve removed and given them more drawn cone and they’ve starting filling and capping too. Just seems to be honey locked

swarm arrived on the 8th June, gave x2 frames of mixed brood, which settled them down
struggling to get my head around the rationale of that
what gets me is they’ve filled all the drawn cone in the brood box with capped honey
was that comb they'd drawn or you had given them for some reason?

I think they've been totally confused personally

No I wouldn't, especially if the nightmare colony is stronger, till I was sure they were queen less. Add another test frame for three days
Cheers Dan
Hi Dani, so give them the test frame and if they start drawing queen cells requeen with weaker hive ?

struggling to get my head around the rationale of that

was that comb they'd drawn or you had given them for some reason?

I think they've been totally confused personally
HiJ, They are drawing and filling, I gave them a drawn frame to try and give them room for laying space 🤦‍♂️ As the majority where full and capped, As I say only new to the game, what’s your advice or in future what should I do

new to the game
a different lady
I'm all for going it alone, Tim, because there is no one way to start beekeeping, but if you can't recognise a drone (and it's comb, not cone) I reckon it's time to sign up for a training course next spring. In the meantime, get hold of a Haynes Bee Manual, probably the best beginner book out there.

24-25th hatched and remainder taken down by hive
Give her three weeks from that date to mate and start laying; in the meantime, a test frame will indicate whether a queen is there, or gone AWOL on a mating flight.

Is the pollen glazed?

Cheers Dan

Hi Dani, so give them the test frame and if they start drawing queen cells requeen with weaker hive ?
Yes that’s what I would do. Put the weaker queenright hive on top and unite through newspaper
BUT it’s far too early to be thinking about that
Your new queen has been out only one week. I’d look again in a fortnight

Yes that’s what I would do. Put the weaker queenright hive on top and unite through newspaper
BUT it’s far too early to be thinking about that
Your new queen has been out only one week. I’d look again in a fortnight
Thanks Dan really helpful..

I'm all for going it alone, Tim, because there is no one way to start beekeeping, but if you can't recognise a drone (and it's comb, not cone) I reckon it's time to sign up for a training course next spring. In the meantime, get hold of a Haynes Bee Manual, probably the best beginner book out there.

Give her three weeks from that date to mate and start laying; in the meantime, a test frame will indicate whether a queen is there, or gone AWOL on a mating flight.

Is the pollen glazed?
Thanks, typo on comb and cone thanks for your help 3 weeks it is 😘

Hello Tim, welcome. How's your beekeeping experience so far?

Latest posts

Back