Have yours been out this week?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilderness

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
despite the sunny weather my colonies have hardly been out this week. I've had ~15'C most days but with a cold east wind.

Worried of Oxfordshire.

Have you had a peek to see they have eggs/brood,have you seen ANY pollen going in?

How many frames of bees do you have?

yes I looked last week. Eggs, brood and pollen going in. About 4 or 5 frames of bees, they've been a bit slow to build up. This week very little activity.

Maybe they are on the cusp of new bees hatching and old bees dying?

Hi guys,
I am trying to get myself stung (to check how I deal with anaphlactics), can I find a bloody bee!!!

Simon

Hi guys,
I am trying to get myself stung (to check how I deal with anaphlactics), can I find a bloody bee!!!

Simon

on willow or wild plum at the moment, try having a look on trees?

I wouldn't panic. I've got lots of pollen going to hives but if I pop out at the wrong time of the day there seems very little activity...

The weather is somewhat variable at the moment...

thanks for your encouragement Oxfordbee but I spent half an hour watching them at 10:00 this morning and only saw a couple going in with pollen. It looks like it will be a couple of degrees warmer tomorrow so I will put off taking a peek until then.

Well be quick Wilderness as the forecast after Tuesday is plummeting temps!! 3-4d The fruit blossom this year is going to suffer from lack of bees

Hi Tonybloke,

I want to get stung, not fall out of a tree and break something :hurray:

Simon

They are probably hiding from you.
Word has got out and none of them want to donate their life by stinging you.
:rofl:

Just saw one in the garden, but the bugger was too quick for me. Are bumbles always out before honey's?

Simon

simon111 if you want to get stung you should come see one of my hives the little bleeders love stinging me. but the vid looks about the same activity as out side my hives then again mine fly when its raining and cold.

Went to have a look yesterday some were flying, so had a peek inside and there was bees right across the 11 frames, plus 6 frames of brood and 3 queen cells, only a couple of weeks ago it was rather disappointing as brood was only on 3 frames so things are speeding up somewhat.

Regards Gillybee.

"3 Queen cells" - Gillybee

Do you mean play cups which are small and empty or fully developed queen cells either sealed or with a larvae in them?

If the former no problem BUT if the latter your hive is set to swarm unless you do something about it.

More information will allow more advice.

Regards Mike

Mine have been flying for approx 2 weeks. 20 yards from the hive is a 30 foot goat willow atracting lots of bumbles as well. Temp hasn't been great but enough to get them moving. This my first hive and only hive bees bought on the 1st april on 5 frames. How often do I open the hive to check progress? Whats the white sugar like substance floor tray? How much syrup how often to top it up? and................................................:willy_nilly:

And get a good book and do some reading.

White stuff on the floor is probably crystals discarded by the bees.

I am checking mine now, until the end of the season, every week.

I found mine have been busier than I expected and have jumped on by 2 frames of brood. :)

PH

Mike ,

Gillybee has 14 colonies, has had more, and is not a beginner. He will be able to look after it, no doubt. Either one more colony, and still collecting honey, or several more.

Stuart,

Not sure what you are meaning with 'only hive bees' (comma missing, or what?). They have been flying almost since you got them? Not as often as you might think is the answer to your question. Regular checks for progress on expansion (have they got enough space), weekly checks coming up for swarm control, depending on size, space etc, vigilance for disease and regular varroa checks (mite drop).

No syrup if they have sufficient resources (may well collect a honey crop shortly)

....... Have you been on a beekeeping course, yet?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back