have you noticed honeydew on tree leaves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
You have out there hot dry weathers, and good flow. Have you noticed sugar syrup on tree leaves and bees sucking the stuff from leaves?

You have out there hot dry weathers, and good flow. Have you noticed sugar syrup on tree leaves and bees sucking the stuff from leaves?

I enquired about a very dark even black Honey in a show. The exhibitor said it was Honeydew and a once In a lifetime.

Yes... Was watching a few bees sucking from oak leaves yesterday. I meant to ask the question on here as to whether hot weather with no other forage will lead to a crop of honeydew honey. Last time I saw it was about 5 years ago here in London, all the honey in show was very dark. I'd love it if we did get a honeydew flow here in London as everything else has gone over now.

Yes... Was watching a few bees sucking from oak leaves yesterday. I meant to ask the question on here as to whether hot weather with no other forage will lead to a crop of honeydew honey. .

Oak is a good honey dew tree.

First, honey dew needs lots of aphids under the leaves.

When weather is hot and dry, sugar accumulates on leaves.
Rain washes sugar easily away. Broad leaves protect from washing.
On the morning honey dew is favorit when night mist dilutes sugar on leaves. Sometimes sugar dribbles from leaves and make big droplets.

Hmm. Interesting one my apiaries has some very dark honey being stored its and full to the brim with mature oak trees!

Cant remember the last time it rained. Has to be at least 6 weeks.

Extracted about 20 lb of some very dark honey water content 16.5% from a hive in my garden the other day. Strong malty taste. This won't be sold but kept for show entries as I only get such dark honey about once every 10 to 15 yrs or so.

Extracted about 20 lb of some very dark honey water content 16.5% from a hive in my garden the other day. Strong malty taste. This won't be sold but kept for show entries as I only get such dark honey about once every 10 to 15 yrs or so.

Do you show the same honey every year for 10 to 15 years then?

Same batch of honey used until something better comes along (but not the same jars of honey as Judge has been into them and taken off the lids so often I find specs of debris on surface afterwards and you never know how clean or dry their tasting rods are) .

A "good fresh honey" will usually beat a good older one. Always enter current years honey in Light, medium and soft set classes as able to get good samples of these most years. Ling heather is usually jarred the previous year to be entered the following year to allow it to gel.

Somewhere along the line we seem to have confused/merged Tree secretions with Insect Excretia???

Transpiration, Basically Sweat. :facts:
Think you'll find all plants do it in hot weather!

No. No plant sweats. They save water and close their air holes.

Quite many plants press water via their leave tips when transpiration does not exist.

Last edited:
Good video in YouTube: "Aphid Honeydew dossi". Aphid shoots the droplet far away.

No. No plant sweats. They save water and close their air holes.

Quite many plants press water via their leave tips when transpiration does not exist.

I don't suppose it happens too often in Finland, but,
you might want to close your hole after you've read up on Transpiration/Sir Francis Darwin? :ohthedrama:

Nice hum coming from the big sycamore in my garden today.seems to be covered in all sorts of insects whether they are after honey dew I don't really know.

Latest posts

Back