Have they swarmed?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've given far, far to much space. That hive is the equivalent of two 14 x 12 brood boxes side by side. The bees will never be able to keep the hive brood area at the optimum temperature. Start with a brood area plus two or three frames and expand as the colony increases in size. The Dartington should be used with insulated end boards to contain the size of the colony.
See the Omlet Beehaus (plastic Dartington) guide for management of a long hive.
I agree with previous posters that the damage looks to be caused by a rodent. You will need to sterilise and re-wax the affected frames. Bees are reluctant to use frames contaminated with rodent urine. https://www.omlet.co.uk/files/public/omlet_guide_to_keeping_bees_and_beehaus_instructions.pdf
Thank you - would you recommend to feed fondant as they’ve been robbed? If so how much ? Thanks

Thank you - would you recommend to feed fondant as they’ve been robbed? If so how much ? Thanks
If there are plenty of bees then there should still be forage around for them. If they are really bereft of stores then syrup at 1 - 1 strength (or one of the ready made syrups) this time of year in a frame feeder..

Hi I had a great inspection today and moved the follower board closer in … green mark to show where it was and next pic is how far in I moved it … as you can see these wax on the frames and there’s bees investigating that far up … there’s activity on all the frames except the 4 preceding the new position of follower board . They were being impeccably behaved , despite the stormy feel to the air so I went through the other frames I couldn’t before and only found one tiny qcup which I took down.
overall much happier . They look strong and healthy and happy to me 🐝

Attachments

• 0DC02995-9FE4-446B-8305-63EBE7EC2D3F.jpeg
    0DC02995-9FE4-446B-8305-63EBE7EC2D3F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 703F9355-43B6-4E1D-BAC2-97EC6CA500A8.jpeg
    703F9355-43B6-4E1D-BAC2-97EC6CA500A8.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back