Have seen it all now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Had a break-in to my polytunnel, chickens and shed on my land the night before last. They stole a a leisure battery I use for the electric net around chicken and tried to get at hens but the coop managed to remain battered but intact.
They also slashed my tunnel and stole a 25l bag of B&Q compost!

The thing that really got me is they broke into the shed and stole 15 1Kg packs of Neopoll that I had recently bought to feed the bees and for future use. Now what on earth would any scabby yob do with that amount of pollen fondant.... get high on the sugar?
Just in case they now need the bees to go with the fondant I have screwed the floors to the stand so that if anyone who doesn't know picks up the hives the bees have a means of escape!
I think the bees would be more interested in the theft and miscreants than my call to the police.:gnorsi:

Oh and apart from the opportunity for a moan, my main reason for posting how easy is it to make pollen substitute?
On-wards and up-wards.

Sorry to hear that the theft of the leisure battery may give the game away " caravans "

Probably thought it was methadone ?

John Wilkinson

Sorry to hear that the theft of the leisure battery may give the game away " caravans "

Couldnt posibly imagine waht you mean although their are traveller friends 'camping' not far from me, did mention it to the police but they said without sufficient evidence they couldnt investigate or search there! Sorry trying hard not to get angry and burn their bXXXXy stinking shacks down. Will be alraight after another glass or two!:)

Were there any clothes pegs or lucky heather in tin foil left at the scene?
Sorry to here about the breakin.

Now now admin,
our itinerant friends always clean up after themselves .:)
They leave nowt movable when they leave :hat:.

John Wilkinson

Sorry Baggie,its only a tease,it makes a change from us having a go at the Yorkshiremen.
We all know that most Gypsies are honest hard working people that never take whats not theres and its just the odd few that give them a bad name.

Can we keep the ignorant bigotry off the forum please?

Sorry Baggie,its only a tease,it makes a change from us having a go at the Yorkshiremen.
We all know that most Gypsies are honest hard working people that never take whats not theres and its just the odd few that give them a bad name.

:party: Makes me feel wanted, but us yorkies were born with big shoulders, god knew we would get picked upon, after all we do live in God's county :music-smiley-023:

Sorry to hear about the thefts and vandalism Stiffy

We have some Gypsies near us who turn up every year in painted wagons, they set up on the same spot and do the old palm readings etc, everything is pristine, and well looked after, even the animals.

However i do not hold "Travellers" in the same light.

We have some Gypsies near us who turn up every year in painted wagons, they set up on the same spot and do the old palm readings etc, everything is pristine, and well looked after, even the animals.

However i do not hold "Travellers" in the same light.

I feel exactly the same and don’t have any problem with how other people wish to live; in fact I am sure many people would think I am strange. What I do object to is people pretending to live a 'green alternative' lifestyle but in reality what they really mean is they wish to sponge off everyone else and if they cannot get have it handed to them, then just pinch it.

Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes and for listening to my rant.:smash: My apologies if any replies caused offence

While I am on the 'keep my property safe’ campaign and I promise this is bee ralated, I did think that if my bees did go for a walk would there be any value in having the queens numbered, I guess with colours different to everyone else?

If nothing else it would make interesting viewing inspecting hives for your own queens or maybe asking local bee inspectors to keep a look out for them. I have seen the coloured numbers and glue advertised, is it relatively easy to apply the number?

Sorry to hear about your losses Stiffy. I have one of those queen marking kits.
It's a b it of a faff and you need a crown of thorns queen cage to hold her majesty still while the number disc is applied also allow at least 10 mins for the glue to set and the smell to disperse before returning the queen. (balling)
Once applied I have NEVER had a number come off which is more than I can say for marker pens.
Regards Mike

Sorry to hear about your losses Stiffy. I have one of those queen marking kits.
It's a b it of a faff and you need a crown of thorns queen cage to hold her majesty still while the number disc is applied also allow at least 10 mins for the glue to set and the smell to disperse before returning the queen. (balling)
Once applied I have NEVER had a number come off which is more than I can say for marker pens.
Regards Mike

Thanks Mike
Even if it just makes me feel better i will have a go with numbering my Queens will order a crown of thorns later this weekend. I was talking to a friend earlier today who studied beetles for his MSc thesis and he used them to mark and track but was quick to note that a beetle is a bit easier to handle than a queen bee. He also added that although upsetting losing a beetle wouldn't be as disastrous as losing a queen bee!
Cheers

Stiffy, the only thing I can think the Neopoll was taken for, if they had any idea what it is, was to cut it with a drug for re-sale as they are always looking for bulking agents, if, indeed, it was a drug related crime. It might be worth letting the Police know this at least.

regards

S

Hi Somerford

I think your concern is a bit unfounded, not even the most drugged up crack head would be fooled by a lump of sticky pollen substitute. On the other hand they could bake it and try and smoke it.................................:coolgleamA:

Regards Ian

Ian - actually what was meant that the pollen substitute would be used to further cut the pure product - it is amazing what drugs are cut with to make them go further and therefore increase the profuit for the drug gangs - fertiliser, chalk, talc, flour, you name it they use it.

S

They have moved onto catalytic converters earlier today I had a confrontation with two of the thickest cut Irishmen going one crawling under my car as the other stood by with the hydraulic pump to cut through the pipe they obviously did not expect me to be at work today and got one hell of a bloody shock when I flew through the door.
They gave the old sob story on how they LIKE ME trying to earn a living and feed the children and please dont call the police I will never see them again if I dont call the police but if i did call the police and they get pulled I will see them again trying to intimidate me. Bloody right I called the police but as we know its a formality despite the threat of violence escalating the situation and no police as of yet perhaps they have the bank holiday off.

Back