Have i got a swarm??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marklockett

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
i have a bait hive set up, in a national brood box, 2 new deep frames with foundation, i old super frame drwan out, some queen pheromone, and a libral sprinkle of lemon grass oil.... at lunch today, there are around 30 bees around the entrance, and guards. when should i open to look, i dont want to upset them and make them leave, how long will 2 new frames take to be drawn out?
:)

Just keep an eye on it over the next few days.

should i feed them if they are going to be drawing out foundation?

Dont get your hopes up to soon!

1 swallow does not make a summer and 30 bees does not equal a swarm...but it is a good start!:cheers2:

i have a bait hive set up, in a national brood box, 2 new deep frames with foundation, i old super frame drwan out, some queen pheromone, and a libral sprinkle of lemon grass oil.... at lunch today, there are around 30 bees around the entrance, and guards. when should i open to look, i dont want to upset them and make them leave, how long will 2 new frames take to be drawn out?
:)

When you set up a bait hive, it will attract the attention of bees in the vicinity, but it doesn't mean you have caught a swarm, I think you need more than 30 bees :)

I set one up last year on my shed roof, my bees loved it for a few days and I could barely get in my shed, then the lure went off a bit, the wind blew the roof off and when I eventually climbed up to put it back on, one of my chickens had started laying in it..................

Frisbee

Back