Have I caught a Swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

Came back this afternoon to a lot of activity at my bait hive in the garden. There were 20+ scouts at it yesterday and now there is constant traffic. Also lots of bees flying around. Looks to me like a swarm has moved in but would appreciate your thoughts.

If it is a swarm I was going to leave until tomorrow evening then transport them to a new apiary I have a few mins from my house.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.MOV
    10.8 MB
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaz
Hi there,

I would say it was more likely that these are scout bees from their behaviour. You have quite the number, so they are scoring the bait hive highly. I would expect something in the next couple of days if the weather holds.

Hi there,

I would say it was more likely that these are scout bees from their behaviour. You have quite the number, so they are scoring the bait hive highly. I would expect something in the next couple of days if the weather holds.
Thanks - yes took a quick look and no swarm. Just a lot of scout bees. Weather looks a bit ropey for the next few days so not sure what will happen

That’s them back
Hi there,

that’s them back again today in large numbers. Will keep an eye on it

Robbing bees? What do you have in your bait hive and how long has if been there?

Simple to check for a swarm - they will be there at night.

Robbing bees? What do you have in your bait hive and how long has if been there?

yes they could be pinching the wax. Have got a frame of old brood comb and the rest are empty

yes they could be pinching the wax. Have got a frame of old brood comb and the rest are empty
the video attached is the activity today

Attachments

• IMG_1134.MOV
    6.3 MB

Meant to say - the bait hive has been out since mid April haven’t added anything into it since then

Still nothing at mine. What region of Scotland are you in?
East Lothian. Where are you?Two days of sunshine seem to have helped with getting interest but they haven’t moved in yet. Interesting to watch though!

East Lothian. Where are you?Two days of sunshine seem to have helped with getting interest but they haven’t moved in yet. Interesting to watch though!

I’m north Cumbria, near Carlisle.

Have you considered that the colony, which might be interested in your bait hive as a new home, is a managed colony and the beekeeper may prevent the colony from swarming?

Yes had interest back in April as well which died away to assumes that swarm prevention was in place.

So scouts never stay overnight? What about late evening, say 10.30? I was unsure for a few days if a swarm had gone in or not, but there was buzzing inside, not huge, at 10pm +.

So scouts never stay overnight? What about late evening, say 10.30? I was unsure for a few days if a swarm had gone in or not, but there was buzzing inside, not huge, at 10pm +.
I've seen a few scouts stay overnight. I assumed they were like German tourist's towels, bagging the spot until the rest arrive :laughing-smiley-014

So scouts never stay overnight?

Do get real. How many scouts are there? If you can’t tell the difference between twenty bees and a whole colony I think you need to get learning!

Perhaps you have not considered what the bees might be doing on a warm sunny day if they are not scout bees? Think about that one.

I am learning! That's what I'm doing checking my bees out and consulting with experienced bks on this site. Fyi, the bees made nowhere near the noise I am used to from my first colony and I don't have the experience of listening to 20 bees in a box. I have read umpteen posts about bait boxes and scout bees on this site and evaluated as best I can. Perhaps it was a small swarm? I did not see it go in.
Since my post I have moved the bait box to the apiary and the bees are settled and working hard. I think I did ok for a beginner on my own. Did you somehow know it all before you started?

Did you somehow know it all before you started?

No, but I knew enough from studying, from life experience and having enough brain cells to rub together to sort out what was happening. It’s not that difficult if you jot down all the possibilities and then look for the simplest answers to see if they fit the scenario. I was certainly not ‘wet behind the ears’ when I started.

You should never stop learning in life.

Latest posts

Back