Have I been stung?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have never been stung before but I think i may have been on Tuesday. I say may have been as I thought if I got stung it would hurt like hell! I got back from installing the hive on the project site and while I was emailing my mum, noticed something sticking from my arm. I flicked it out, there was no pain, swelling, itching.....and a clear fluid sort of oozed out, not much though. I didn't think anything of it, but about 20 mins later I got an odd metallic taste in my mouth. I had an assesment at the adult ed center that day so off I went. Half way through I started feeling jittery. Like when you've not eaten and you feel faint, but twice as bad. I had a sugary bun and came home. After a little doze I felt fine. Could I have been stung. Could it have been by a young bee who's stung hasn't matured yet? The arm still isn't affected, just a very slight numbness over the scab, and I mean very slight.

Was I stung? I can't believe these are the only symptoms, I'm just not that lucky ;)

Normaly a Honeybee sting feels at first like if you light a Swan vesta match then blow it out and press it against the skin.

There was no pain at all, through out, I didn't even know it was there. I didn't really look at it, but there wasn't two sacs, there only seemed to be one. That's why I was thinking maybe a very young bee, or a deformed sting.

A bee sting hurts a lot. There is no "have I been stung?" you will know it :)

Probably a nasty 'bug' rather than a bee. I got bitten by something black and red and had a roughly similar reaction - jitters etc and a numb patch which gradually went red and crusty.:mad: 7 weeks later just a sore red lump, but not nice at the time...

I have never been stung before but I think i may have been on Tuesday. I say may have been as I thought if I got stung it would hurt like hell! I got back from installing the hive on the project site and while I was emailing my mum, noticed something sticking from my arm. I flicked it out, there was no pain, swelling, itching.....and a clear fluid sort of oozed out, not much though. I didn't think anything of it, but about 20 mins later I got an odd metallic taste in my mouth. I had an assesment at the adult ed center that day so off I went. Half way through I started feeling jittery. Like when you've not eaten and you feel faint, but twice as bad. I had a sugary bun and came home. After a little doze I felt fine. Could I have been stung. Could it have been by a young bee who's stung hasn't matured yet? The arm still isn't affected, just a very slight numbness over the scab, and I mean very slight.

Was I stung? I can't believe these are the only symptoms, I'm just not that lucky ;)

Probable been bitten by a wood tick. That could have the same effect. Do you have any sheep or poultry near by?

It may have been a sting, but cos you may have been so excited by the bees coming and doing the rehiving your own Adrenalin may have much higher than normal your body overcome it without you knowing it . people who have a bad reaction to stinging insects, an epipen loaded with Adrenalin to combat the sting.

A bee sting hurts a lot. There is no "have I been stung?" you will know it :)
Not always,
I got stung 3 times whilst going through my hives this afternoon :).
First 1 I saw (didn't feel ) a bee stuck to the thick part of my right thumb ,
Second (on another hive) left index finger, felt that one for a split second ,no more .
Finally as I was disrobing I saw a sting in my inside right wrist (don't know which hive I collected that from:).)

As regards pain ,a lot depends on where you are stung . Pain receptors are dotted all over the skin , more dense in some parts than others, if the sting enters between receptors the sensation can be delayed until the venom diffuses in the direction of receptor by which time it can be un-noticeable !

John

Well Maybe you have been stung so much you are in the master beekeeper zone :)

They always hurt me a lot and I have limited experience of nearly 4 years.

Thanks everyone, but I think I have solved the mystery lol. The only sting I have seen is a picture of a fresh one. It didn't look like that. But tonight, while sorting the suits out for washing, I came across Pauls suit from the night before, when the bees got very angry with him. I counted 17 dried out stings on that suit, and this is exactly what it looked like. So I think it was a sting, but an old one which I've picked up handling the suits.

Lol at Onge.....did you not know I am a master bee keeper now ;)

Thanks Nopants, but I don't have any sheep or poultry, but someone has chickens a good 200 yards from the plot.

Bee Hive Lodge, that my well be why I didn't feel it. As it was the first time I have touched anything in the hive, my adrenalin levels must have been sky high. Saying that, I didn't have the shakes like I did the first time I visited a hive......I can't believe I am the same person :)

:) I was referring to Victor Meldrew's comment.

lol, sorry Onge....I'm still a master bee keeper though :p

I read a few posts wrongly yesterday, I have concentration problems when I don't take my medication for a few days....problem is, I am useless at taking it. If the box slips behind the teabags ( I keep them there so it's the first thing I see in the morning, it's supposed to help me remember to take them...doh! lol ) then I forget about them until I clean up, meanwhile my memory and concentration span goes downhill, so please forgive me. I was already a dozy mare before this problem, so now I am doubley so ;)

Latest posts

Back