Has the bubble burst?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I mean is that they would not be able to sustain themselves without human intervention which is how many honey bees are kept in some parts of the planet.

Indeed there are parts of France and the UK where honey bees can't live without human assistance.

Chris
The Bio theory is that foragers leave a footprint on flora that is recogonised by subsequent visitors, so bees in an area will know if it is over populated.

OK. That is what I'll do. Do I just google Suffolk bee keepers and take it from there?

I can see the farmer's going to spray, he has to drive past the track beside my house so I guess I just rush down there with a damp sheet and cover the hive with it so they can't forage (?). I've looked up Farmers Weekly and think it's fungicide spraying atm. A week or two ago, it was fertiliser — you can tell which as it's either a mist or a trickle for the latter. Is fungicide bad for bees?

Edit: What a marvellous forum this is! Just got a pm and an apiarist is coming this afternoon to inspect the territory and may keep his hive(s) here. Apparently, he passes nearby every day on his way to work. So he'll get honey and we'll get fruit. Brilliant!!!

http://www.suffolkbeekeepers.co.uk/

just blocking the entrance will stop them flying.

it can be useful once you get through the chaff

I recon due to people's spare income being sweezed so much at the minute the price of a hobby like beekeeping can put people off...

Everyone can make there own kit if they put their mind and some dedication into it.

Oh HM - You've met my OH - how can you say things like that???? :( I have a 'nuc' box...made following a plan...and the frames don't fit so when I used it for storing frames in a shed it was robbed out!! Getting the picture? Mind you, I can't talk, I was evicted from woodwork after 4 weeks :(

I do think though that some people started out thinking it was a 'nice' hobby, and they could boast about doing something for the 'poor little bees'...I've met a few who were more interested in bragging rights about kit costs than about how well their bees were doing - but you can't keep on forever like that - you have to love the bees. Once many here passed a few modules - they moved onto the next big thing...

Last edited:
Well that is a given... this is North America after all. The first honey bees arrived here in the early 1700s.

However, honeybees like the original U.S. environment. They arrived at the rockies from the east before than man got there... Apis Mellifera can live on there own where mixed decidous trees live. However, not if man chops down all he mature trees or replaces it witha mono-culture.

Had a quick look at the French go*gle site for hives, they can supply a full set up (minus bees) for 92 euro, about £78, something to think about on a day trip?

Had a quick look at the French go*gle site for hives, they can supply a full set up (minus bees) for 92 euro, about £78, something to think about on a day trip?

£78?! What's included in that? Frames, supers, etc? And what kind of hive is it?

Dadant, Large solid plastic ventilated base, Brood box, one super, crown board, lid, frames for all, plastic snap in reversible mouse guard / shut hive. €90,

with bees €140 / €150

Plastic Dadant as above €80.

Chris

What I mean is that they would not be able to sustain themselves without human intervention which is how many honey bees are kept in some parts of the planet.

Indeed there are parts of France and the UK where honey bees can't live without human assistance.

Chris
In france and the UK this only occurs below the conifer line where man has destroyed the habitat.

Latest posts

Back