Has the bubble burst?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have got to give them a break, i mean, its only in the last 10 years or so that there has been an influx of new members so I can imagine its rather difficult for the core members to change the dynamic of the club altogether. I can understand it if they just want it to be how it used to be. Some BKA just aren't new beekorientated so if you don't like your local ones why don't you set up your own with a group of disenchanted beeks? I think it's a shame that beekeepers feel the need to isolate themselves from other beekeepers who they could learn a lot off.

M

I have visited a lot of local BKAs this winter and i have to agree out of 12 local BKAs if i was a member i would not go back except to one!
They are on the whole very boring stuck in the 1930s and run like the old working mens clubs of the 70s
They should be fun to attend but there not new members are left on the edges and ignored.
I stood and talked to a lot of new attendees and most of them said they would not be returning and who can blame them

Here we go again .
Some! Newbies get caught up in the hyperbole , and obtain bees! The quicker the better and tweet all their contacts about this marvellous , selfless venture into saving our food source they have undertaken!
They attend a bee meeting , and expect the business of the day to be exclusively about them.
First thing they do is complain about the branch, accusing the committee of being out of touch. Usually in mocking tones, advise how they would do XYZ,being much better equipped by virtue of their own professional back grounds .
I have been a member or 4 branches of the BBKA , I am still a member of one of them . The first one I joined went defunct years ago because it relied heavily on one person! The next two where a little too far as the price of fuel began to escalate!
My present branch "the Ormkirk and Croston" Beekeepers is most welcoming to newbies and more than it's fair share of the membership have taken up positions in the Lancashire Beekeepers to which Ormkirk are affiliated ( please excuse the 70s labour club term)we have one past BBKA chairman plus past president , we also have an executive member of the BBKA who is a newbie ,who has grasped the nettle, stuck head into books arms up to the elbows in bees , taken on the role of education within the branch plus greater branch!
Anyone joining any society must be mindful of the existing membership, listen , observe , offer help, prove yourself .
Do this and total acceptance is guaranteed !
Nobody loves a moaner, who then spit out their dummy ,then cut and run! Good riddance I say !
There are some people whose aim is always to 'change the world'
Then there are the newbies who genuinely want to keep bees but time proves them to be not suited to contact with bees either psychologically or through allergy . This is a same !
I must stress the majority of newbies I have met/ mentored and have subsequently left the craft have done so reluctantly rather than disaffection with the particular branch they have been associated with!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nowt to do with me gov !
Default signature ,courtesy of tapatalk !
Can't be bother to alter it !
VM

Predictive punctuation ?
smiley-shocked003.gif

I found a lot of the people that moan about associations dont/wont help out either, they are more than happy to let everyone else do all the work and then moan about how it has been done.

Here we go again .
Some! Newbies get caught up in the hyperbole , and obtain bees! The quicker the better and tweet all their contacts about this marvellous , selfless venture into saving our food source they have undertaken!
They attend a bee meeting , and expect the business of the day to be exclusively about them.
First thing they do is complain about the branch, accusing the committee of being out of touch. Usually in mocking tones, advise how they would do XYZ,being much better equipped by virtue of their own professional back grounds .

Wow ... none of the newbees I've met are anything like this ... we tend to be an enthusiastic, enquiring and occasionally nervous bunch - overwhelmed with information but keen to make a success of it. My association has been very welcoming and friendly and I've not found anything in the least bit boring or that I've been marginalised in any way. There has, hwoever, been a drop off from the people on the beginners course I've taken as the reality of what is involved kicks in.

Having gone down the TBH/more natural route I have had some very interesting conversations with 'conventional' beekeepers outside of my association who were, to say the least, at best condescending and at worst downright objectionable ... and probably still stuck in the 1930's - so I know there are some out there.

And I have to say, there are a few people on this forum, not so much recently, but in the past, who have been pretty cutting towards some Newbees ...I hope that this is behaviour that we never see on here. We all start somewhere.

I do agree that there are some people who jump into beekeeping without the necessary thought, research and preparation ... and I've seen these on here and other forums as well so I do understand the, occasional, frustration when a first post says ' I'd like to keep bees to help the bee population increase ... what do I do now ?' Fortunately, there's a really good sticky to give them a lead ... This should be a mandatory read for any Newbee which you have tick a box to say you've read it - before you are allowed to post ANYTHING !

Last edited:
its things like
Having gone down the TBH/more natural route

That winds a lot of people up, nothing more natural about it, they are kept in a box that you look through.
No offence meant to you.
I have no problem with anything that people keep bees in at all.

Its like people saying they are vegetarian but still eat fish and chicken lol

I found a lot of the people that moan about associations dont/wont help out either, they are more than happy to let everyone else do all the work and then moan about how it has been done.

:iagree: it seems to apply to most associations/committes whatever the subject is
As VM said you get some newbies turn up and either they know better than anyone else and immediately want to be the boss and run evrything their way. Or jjust whinge and throw their toys out.
When I first joined my asociation I was surprised how forward thinking and inclusive they were - I think I joined as a lot of their initiatives were starting as they admitted things had stagnated a bit over the years - a complete apiary makeover was in progress grant money was being pursued and everyone was encouraged to join in ,I quickly went from new member to being sent on a trainers' course (although i did decline the offer of the treasurer's post!) beginners with a bit of potential were encourage to join the committtee (one now is also on the WBKA committee)and everyone has a good time - long standing members and newbies alike other associations saw us and quickly followed suit thus our new motto 'we lead where others follow'
I wouldn't change it for the world.

Here we go again .

My View is from the outside.
I get invited to many LBAKs to give talks. I do not go to see if i want to become a member or mock as you put it!
Just go and give my time free of charge and these are the things i observe.
In many places it seem if you face does not fit your not made welcome.
Many BKAs seem to be run for the select few hanging on to there last bit of power like demi gods giveing out the message it`s our way or no way.But we still want your membership money to fund our tea and custard cream fund.

One of the posts stated that over a 100 members had not renewed there membership. that BKA should contact the 100 and ask the question WHY.
Have they given up beekeeping or is there another reason why they have not renewed there membership?
If a business had a large persentage of customers leave they would be looking very hard for the reason behind it and the business would evolve and change to ensure they keep growing. At the end of the day a beekeeping club is for the members as a whole not for the few old men and women who were there at the beginnig.
Beekeeping has changed over the last few years from what has been perceived as an old persons hobby to a multigenerational hobby with different views ideas & angles and BKAs have to move with this in mind.

I joined my association a year or 2 before the big upsurge. They were not really ready for it. They are more than capable of dealing with it now.Now has a very good website, loads of things going on, extraction kit available on loan. They also actively encourage beginners to suggest new things. I made some changes myself when I ran the association apiary which has been carried on. I have stepped down from the role now but the new apiary manager is doing a great job.

its things like
Having gone down the TBH/more natural route

That winds a lot of people up, nothing more natural about it, they are kept in a box that you look through.
No offence meant to you.
I have no problem with anything that people keep bees in at all.

Its like people saying they are vegetarian but still eat fish and chicken lol

Well ... I know it winds some people up - but it shouldn't. It's just another way of keeping bees ... I'm not a purist or an evangelist, I don't beat the drum for 'my' method of keeping bees - I just want people to tolerate my beliefs and ideas in the same way that I tolerate others. What would you have us call it ?

no need to call it anything all that is needed to say is

I keep my bees in a TBH.
As I said I have no problems at all with what people keep their bees in.

no need to call it anything all that is needed to say is

I keep my bees in a TBH.
As I said I have no problems at all with what people keep their bees in.

:iagree: It's the condescending phrase 'more natural way' appended on the end which gets everyone's goat.
If I 'nursed' my bees dressed in nothing but an animal skin loincloth :eek: would that be classes as 'more natural' ? :D

My View is from the outside.
I get invited to many LBAKs to give talks. I do not go to see if i want to become a member or mock as you put it!
Just go and give my time free of charge and these are the things i observe.
In many places it seem if you face does not fit your not made welcome.
Many BKAs seem to be run for the select few hanging on to there last bit of power like demi gods giveing out the message it`s our way or no way.But we still want your membership money to fund our tea and custard cream fund.
I wonder how many re-invites you get? Not many if your observational talks reflect yours biased view of people ,
You are indeed sir the archetypical and yes 'mocking' individuals of whom I write ,
" tea and custard cream fund" isn't mocking?
For proper observation you need to be on the inside rather than forming opinions whilst listening to your own voice on flying visits!
VM

a lot of people moan about associations

:iagree:

Most BKAs meet once a month, with a break in July or August. It's only 10 or 11 times a year, and sometimes it's the only time these people get together because some of the areas are huge. The way most meetings are organised isn't exactly the best way to get talking - there's a fairly formal talk, then a hot drink, then it's time to leave and go home.

If you're a newcomer and nobody deliberately talks to you it isn't an intentional rebuff, it's just that they're meeting and chatting to their friends during the short bit of free time during the evening.

The only way to feel involved is to be involved - turn up at each meeting, introduce yourself, offer your time, offer to help with the tea and coffee, stack the chairs afterwards. Find out who the apiary managers are, and offer to help with some maintenance etc..

Everybody in a BKA is a volunteer. If you want to join in you'll be made very welcome. If you want to stand on the sidelines and complain about the way things are done - well, that's your choice.

I think you're in Scotland, and maybe they do it differently there, but 'tea and custard creams' are more usually funded by donations given when members take a drink or a biscuit, they aren't paid for from subscriptions.

Last edited:
The old "join and change from within" argument - I can understand those who think that way, but it's "not my way" - I think I can give a good and relevant analogy - the BWEA (British Wind Energy Association) - a few years ago, they saw fit to swell their membership (and their coffers) by welcoming into their bosom, and supporting the makers and purveyors of "roof mounted chocolate teapots" (which anyone with a basic smattering of knowledge on the subject knew were a heartless con...) - in my view, their actions have tarnished the reputation of the entire UK wind industry, and I decided to "stay outside" - sometimes an association can be so far "beyond the pale" in what they do that anyone with a conscience is very sensibly going to avoid them altogether - as a point of principle.........

Last edited:
I joined N Staffs in 2010.. and primarily went to the beginners' meeting at the apiary outside Leek. Despite being an about to be TBH keeper I was made welcome .. and have continued going trying to assist in training newbies.

I don't go to many monthly meetings - as National hives hold little interest - but when I do go everyone is very welcoming. At present we run beginners' meeting on Saturday mornings at the apiary followed by a discussion over coffee at the local pub.

Seems to work well. Yes many of the members are elderly - I am no spring chicken - but the 70+year old beekeeper who teaches is a pleasant and knowledgeable teacher..

Never had any problems but then I am an extrovert ....

I guess people round here are down to earth...

The old "join and change from within" argument - I can understand those who think that way, but it's "not my way" -........... and I decided to "stay outside" ........

Like staying on the outside and then banging on about how they need to be changed don't you? How many other organisations are you 'not a member of?' :)

I prefer to listen to the saying of that old indian brave - it is better to be inside the wigwam p!ssing out than to be outside trying to p!ss in :D

Like staying on the outside and then banging on about how they need to be changed don't you? How many other organisations are you 'not a member of?' :)

I prefer to listen to the saying of that old indian brave - it is better to be inside the wigwam p!ssing out than to be outside trying to p!ss in :D

How come this got turned into a wind technology thread?
Oh! I see , it's old friend Brossie high jacking yet another thread .
Not much change there then!
VM

Latest posts

Back