Has anyone used a jam thermometer?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
After my twelve jars of greengage jam did not set and throwing a big tantrum I today bought a jam thermometer. Setting point of jam as indicated on said gadget, 105 degrees. Reboiled the jam like a thing possessed and it would not go above 100 degrees. Any ideas?

Used to use a jam thermometer but found the same as you - excessive boiling destroys the pectin and the jam never sets! We now use a cold plate test; if the jam gels then it is ready for bottling. Used the jam thermometer for making fondant last year and it set like a rock. The bees still managed to use it over the winter, though! You could try adding pectin and reboiling the greengages, though? Good luck!

After my twelve jars of greengage jam did not set and throwing a big tantrum I today bought a jam thermometer. Setting point of jam as indicated on said gadget, 105 degrees. Reboiled the jam like a thing possessed and it would not go above 100 degrees. Any ideas?

Jam thermometer? think sugar thermometer :)
Higher the sugar content ,higher the boiling point !
I use one when making fondant , but my wife ,when jam making, uses the old fashioned wrinkle method.
VM

Used to use a jam thermometer but found the same as you - excessive boiling destroys the pectin and the jam never sets! We now use a cold plate test; if the jam gels then it is ready for bottling. Used the jam thermometer for making fondant last year and it set like a rock. The bees still managed to use it over the winter, though! You could try adding pectin and reboiling the greengages, though? Good luck!
You type faster than I :biggrinjester:
VM

I don’t know but greengages may be low on Pectin.

Although this year I have invested in thermometer I have always used the cold plate trick.

Put a plate in the fridge and when you think you have boiled your jam for long enough put a teaspoon of the jam onto the plate, as the jam cools push it with your finger and if the jam moves as one it will set.

If this fails you may need to add Pectin to the jam to add aid setting.

This thermometer, what does it record in boiling water?

A fairly basic test. If it is out you have an 'offset' to contend with for a start.

Perhaps not boiled off enough water?

Add more sugar? Pectin doesn't seem an issue if the temperature needs to be higher. It may if you need to reduce it a lot, as others have said

Not a cook, so lost on jams, marmalades and such like. Have enough trouble heating baked beans in the microwave!

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Have enough trouble heating baked beans in the microwave!

Regards, RAB

They taste good cold straight out of the can :biggrinjester:

If your jam doesn't set try adding the juice of one or two lemons to it and re boil, jar using the wrinkle test.
Greengages like all other plums are rammed with pectin. Strange that it didn't set.

I made some Damson jam it didn't set it also was a little sharp for my taste, I added some more sugar reboiled it set perfect and tasted so nice wish I had made more now ...... just hoping the wine turns out just as good :)

jam doesn't NEED to set to do it's job!!!!

as previous - plums, damsons and gages all have plenty of pectin.

how much sugar did you use? it's the sugar content that allows temp to go above 100.

I use preserving sugar, which has pectin added already.
I have used a jam thermometer, but as has been said, can't get the temperature up so reverted to cold plate method.
Nowadays I use the microwave to make jam and it's pretty much foolproof so I don't need to test for setting. ;)

Thanks for replies peeps. The first thing I did this morning was to tentatively check my jam - hoorah - it set!!! Despite only going up to 100 degrees.

I had previously tried the cold saucer method but unfortunately it lied to me - wrinkled up a goodun so I thought all was well.

At least I now have twelve jars of jam instead of twelve jars of sauce!

I use a jam thermometer all the time, I take mine up to 104.5 and as soon as it reaches I take it off, now sets all the time. I use preserving sugar and if I think I need more pectic I throw in a few chopped apples which i remove before I jar the jam.

One thing though if you are struggling to get the jam up to temperature, then you are porbably using a pan that is too big. If you use the smallest pan you need , bearing in mind that it will boil up then you should get the temperature you need. The big preserving pans with no lid are really hard to get to temp on modern cookers.

The other trick i use, especially with chutney which needs to cook for a long time is to use the oven. I start off in the pan then transfer to the oven, although if you do it this way you need an oven proof pan of course.

The advantage of getting up to temp in the oven over the hob is there is very little chance of burning the jam or chutney, as the heat surrounds it not just coming from the bottom. It also gets to temp quicker and a higher temp can be achieved.

:) that's my ten penneth worth anyway.

I use preserving sugar, which has pectin added already.
Nowadays I use the microwave to make jam and it's pretty much foolproof so I don't need to test for setting. ;)

Terminology!
Round here "preserving sugar" is just sugar (no pectin) but in uniform large-ish grains.
But "Jam Sugar" from Tate & Lyle does have added pectin.

There is at least one book specifically on microwave jam. I have 'Luxurious Jams" which is a tenner on Amazon. Most are a bit of a faff, in and out, for stirring.

Thermometers. A warning and a recommendation. The term "instant read" (applied to cooking thermometers) does NOT mean 'quick-to-respond' - it actually means 'don't leave it in, like an oven thermometer'.
You can get really, really good digital thermometers (and plenty dross). The ("Splashproof Super-Fast") Thermapen comes with a proper calibration certificate, has guaranteed accuracy to within half a degree C throughout its range - and gives its settled reading within 2 or 3 seconds. I got one recently (an official factory refurb) for under £30 on eBay. Its great for everything except leaving in the oven!

Terminology here is "Sucre special confitures", but I reckoned that wasn't very helpful to anyone not wanting to make their microwave jam in France...

Latest posts

Back