Has anyone got a photo of a varroa-tray containing some of the critters?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat500bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an illuminated magnifying glass and all I see in the trays is tiny black grains (bee poo?), white wax, old cappings wax, tiny weevils and general flotsam. There is nothing that in any way ressembles the images I have seen of the varroa mite. The tray is greased with Vaseline and I'm checking and re-applying daily.

I am aware that varroa drop is an inexact science but given the prevalence of this pest I expect to see something. The beekeeper who sold me one colony of the bees had a very tidy setup and said he didn't treat his bees; but he didn't make a song and dance about a philosophy of being "treatment free".

In order to guide me, an image would be very helpful if anyone has one or can point me at one. Many thanks.

I have an illuminated magnifying glass and all I see in the trays is tiny black grains (bee poo?), white wax, old cappings wax, tiny weevils and general flotsam. There is nothing that in any way ressembles the images I have seen of the varroa mite. The tray is greased with Vaseline and I'm checking and re-applying daily.

I am aware that varroa drop is an inexact science but given the prevalence of this pest I expect to see something. The beekeeper who sold me one colony of the bees had a very tidy setup and said he didn't treat his bees; but he didn't make a song and dance about a philosophy of being "treatment free".

In order to guide me, an image would be very helpful if anyone has one or can point me at one. Many thanks.
Loads on Google.

You really can't miss them, they are shiny dark red and actually not that small!

Brilliant...my bees either don't have them (obviously unlikely), aren't very attentive to personal hygiene (possibly, my grandkids are the same) or the varroa board is a pointless exercise; Ill keep on trying. :)

You have loads there! As a matter of interest, did you not know what you were looking for?

:) .......not my own...thank goodness; nicked off a webpage. I wasn't certain how big or obvious they should be and I was worried I was missing them amongst all the frass that the bees kick down. I could still easily miss any cute little varroa babies, but I'll now know a mummy one if I see it. I'm optimistic that numbers are low but I'm aware that there are more interventionist ways to be more sure of numbers. Call me sqeamish or an old softy, but I can't face destroying pupae or suffocating adult bees. :(

It’s like spotting eggs. Once you get your eye in, they’re quite easy to spot. I draw a 3x3 grid on the board with pencil which makes it easier keeping a tally. I haven’t got the courage yet to do an alcohol wash so rely on taking an average drop over a week using a board. Even if it isn't the best way of counting, its telling me that the drop is a fraction of last year when I had very noticeable DWV.

:) .......not my own...thank goodness; nicked off a webpage. I wasn't certain how big or obvious they should be and I was worried I was missing them amongst all the frass that the bees kick down. I could still easily miss any cute little varroa babies, but I'll now know a mummy one if I see it. I'm optimistic that numbers are low but I'm aware that there are more interventionist ways to be more sure of numbers. Call me sqeamish or an old softy, but I can't face destroying pupae or suffocating adult bees. :(
Got you now!

Here are three shots from one of my boards after the morning inspection. The squares are 2"and in the closest shot you have 3 varroa and a handy bees legin the sqaure next to the one marked C as a further guide to the size of the beasties. This board is from a hive that is just about at the end of a weeks MAQS treatment and the drop is what came down over the last 24 hours. Hope this helps.20200824_091504.jpg20200824_091513.jpg20200824_091526.jpg

I could still easily miss any cute little varroa babies, but I'll now know a mummy one if I see it.

Juvenile mites are tiny versions of the adult but see-through. They don't survive outside the cell. Adult varroa are usually conker coloured and have a shine. Not as shiny as a drop of new propolis though which is often mite-sized and can be confusing.

Here's a photo of a high var20200811_073506.jpgroa load. Top tip: if possible, tilt the board and the sunlight reflects off varroa making them easier to spot 🙂

Latest posts

Back