Has anyone extracted honey yet??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 kgs end or March, and another 30-35kgs waiting to be extracted over the next two days. All from 3 hives (of which mostly from one hive!).

One problem I have this year is knowing how much OSR I have and when to take it off, and how "mixed" it is with the regular stuff.

Last year all we could see was OSR for miles around. This year I can see it coming in, but the local farmer has converted his fields to .... pig rearing, so not sure where the OSR is, how much there is, and how far away...

low on stores could spell disaster

i was always told not to take the first of there hard graft as soon as the first nector dries up they need it to tie them over before the main flow starts
bees could run low on store and they will need it to build the colony to full strength im leaving them to it.
on the good side ive picked up three swarms up to now
to small which i might unite at some stage:coolgleamA:

Last edited:
I did my first full super "ever" today, was well chuffed totaly enjoyed it, just got to wait for thornes to send me the proper size lids for my jars (slight mishap in order).

About 25lb from 1 super is this about average yeald per super?

Its quite a sticky job isnt it :biggrinjester:.

7lbs from just 3 deep frames.

Was more a test of my new extractor ahead of a big extraction in just over a weeks time.

Found it very good practice and now know where most of the things I couldn't find are or what I need to get before then!

Trapperman,
If you have OSR then avoid bottling straight away as it will set rock hard in the jar. Instead let it solidify for 6 weeks in a bucket until it is rock hard.

Warm it to about 40 degrees for a few hours until it is starting to melt (but not runny!). Using a powerdrill and a paint paddle (ideally stainless steel) mix the OSR honey until creamy avoiding introducing air as you mix. Then when it is creamy and not granulated bottle it.

This way the honey will stay creamy soft set and not crystallise and set hard.

All the best,
Sam

Trapperman,
If you have OSR then avoid bottling straight away as it will set rock hard in the jar. Instead let it solidify for 6 weeks in a bucket until it is rock hard.

Warm it to about 40 degrees for a few hours until it is starting to melt (but not runny!). Using a powerdrill and a paint paddle (ideally stainless steel) mix the OSR honey until creamy avoiding introducing air as you mix. Then when it is creamy and not granulated bottle it.

This way the honey will stay creamy soft set and not crystallise and set hard.

All the best,
Sam

Does this apply to any other types of honey?

Mine will be wild flower honey (no rape locally) so can I simply bottle this after filtering?

16lb yesterday from 8 full capped frames in the first super. Sold one jar to a bloke before I'd even started jaring it up and then his wife rang up later to say she would have another 4 jars :party:

i was always told not to take the first of there hard graft as soon as the first nector dries up they need it to tie them over before the main flow starts
bees could run low on store and they will need it to build the colony to full strength im leaving them to it.
on the good side ive picked up three swarms up to now
to small which i might unite at some stage:coolgleamA:

Very wise, as a bad summer could see the feeding of syrup. I hope i am wrong so i am leaving ours at the moment.

No rain = little or no nectar

We haven't any rain forecast for the next ten days.

Be both wary and aware of what you remove and what stores your colonies have.

Thanks wcp, having read about everyone removing supers I must admit I am tempted, but will sit tight now, we have had rain down here in cornwall, but will just add more supers I think and sit on my hands when it comes to extracting.

Last weekend one super nearly full so put on another, looked again this weekend thinking I would have to extract one, and there is less honey in than last weekend, this hive is on the OSR.

how much to charge

how much do you charge for 1lb of honey, just taken my 1st lot of honey last weekend.:hurray:

Present it really nicely and ask 5.50 for a pound,
Sam

Was selling at £3 for 8oz last year, have moved up to 12oz jars this year selling them at £5 and a few 8oz jars left from last year are going on sale at £3.50.
Sold 5 of the 12oz jars this weekend and have orders for another 5 that I will drop off this week at work.
I was thinking it was too expensive but having had several sales since I extracted the honey this weekend I think not.

We wouldnt get £5 around here £3-£4 for a pound jar is the going rate here

Thanks wcp, having read about everyone removing supers I must admit I am tempted, but will sit tight now, we have had rain down here in cornwall, but will just add more supers I think and sit on my hands when it comes to extracting.

Remove your honey and extract by all means.....but make sure that you feed a little if they're short.

Remember, sugar is cheaper than honey!

:iagree:

It's a pain to have to lose decent comb when OSR has set rock solid in it and if you have got this coming in then you may feel you have little choice but to extract. I might try Finmans suggestion of spraying them with water and putting them in the brood nest as an experiment.

Dont worry about extracting honey and leaving them short, you can always feed them if necessary, as someone already wrote, honey is far more valuable than sugar. After all thats what we do we do in the Autumn, we remove the honey and then feed

Latest posts

Back