Harvesting uncapped honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a cheap drunk šŸ„“
And I have nearly twenty gallons of mead waiting to be racked off.

It's very odd stuff. I mentioned this before but it might reassure some. When I made it in the past I made 10 gallons in 2 x 5 gallon fermenters. One would gallop away and be finished in 3 weeks and the other sauntered along often taking 6 months to ferment out... I mentioned this to a commercial man and he smiled and said yes it's a bit of a bugger especially when each batch is 500 gallons.

Sterilise everything properly. Use good honey. Warm it up and skim off the foam while making the must and use a good quality high alcohol yeast. My mead used to be approx 17% .

PH

Oh dear...

I made 10 years home wine and I got a serious food allergy. I got astma like symptons from that. Yeah, lovely...

Must be a Finnish thing. I was out there for a few weeks and developed a skin condition on my face and scalp after drinking Kotikalja most days with lunch-- for a number of years I couldn't drink or eat anything with yeast or yeast extract in at all or I'd be in agony, even now it risks exacerbating it but I can get away with some on occasion.

Latest posts

Back