Harvesting uncapped honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beelosser

Bee Loser
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi I have a super of uncapped and drippy honey. I want to make mead but don’t have an extractor. I would rather not destroy the comb- most of it is foundationless and I want to use it next year. Do you think I could wash the honey out by soaking the combs in warm water?

Put the uncapped honey box lowest to the hive and let the bees eate it away.

Home mead is not so healthy stuff that it is necessary to consume it.

Well prohibition in Finland ended in 1932, so I take it mead is not as much fun as the local firewater Jallu ?

Well prohibition in Finland ended in 1932, so I take it mead is not as much fun as the local firewater Jallu ?

Jallu means " noble alcohol". It is made by mixing vodka and French cocnag. Purpose is to save cocnag.

Nothing to do with mead.

Mead's purpose is to get a cheap drunk

Last edited:
Jallu means " noble alcohol". It is made by mixing vodka and French cocnag. Purpose is to save cocnag.

Nothing to do with mead.

Mead's purpose is to get a cheap drunk

The Finns know about home brewing. There are strict rules on purchase of alcohol out there and a lot of people make their own.

If Mead was any good you would be able to get it in Tesco, Saisnburys et al. Well that's what I say at Honey shows then quickly run; albeit there is truth in it.

As a Show Judge I have been able to sample mead from all over the country . Some of the mead at shows tastes disgusting and maybe a risk to health but equally some is absolutely wonderful. Although in the minority there are some really good mead makers out there (particularly in Yorkshire).

I started making mead this year, it’s lovely. In fact, surprised me how nice it tasted and the fact you can still taste the honey itself (even in dry mead).

I started making mead this year, it’s lovely. In fact, surprised me how nice it tasted and the fact you can still taste the honey itself (even in dry mead).

Oh dear...

I made 10 years home wine and I got a serious food allergy. I got astma like symptons from that. Yeah, lovely...

I made some and still have it in the garage, I think NASA could make good use of it.

Latest posts

Back