Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

mbc 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I'm a cheap drunk 🥴
And I have nearly twenty gallons of mead waiting to be racked off.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
It's very odd stuff. I mentioned this before but it might reassure some. When I made it in the past I made 10 gallons in 2 x 5 gallon fermenters. One would gallop away and be finished in 3 weeks and the other sauntered along often taking 6 months to ferment out... I mentioned this to a commercial man and he smiled and said yes it's a bit of a bugger especially when each batch is 500 gallons.

Sterilise everything properly. Use good honey. Warm it up and skim off the foam while making the must and use a good quality high alcohol yeast. My mead used to be approx 17% .

PH

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
Oh dear...

I made 10 years home wine and I got a serious food allergy. I got astma like symptons from that. Yeah, lovely...
Must be a Finnish thing. I was out there for a few weeks and developed a skin condition on my face and scalp after drinking Kotikalja most days with lunch-- for a number of years I couldn't drink or eat anything with yeast or yeast extract in at all or I'd be in agony, even now it risks exacerbating it but I can get away with some on occasion.

Latest posts