Hardwood cuttings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
We took hardwood cuttings from blackcurrant and rambling roses not 4 weeks ago using hormone powder and instead of putting them in the tunnel because of the chickens we had them in the conservatory they have rooted already... I wonder if I have time for more:unsure:.
Is any one else on the free plant vibe?IMG_20210310_141813.jpgIMG_20210310_141832.jpg

To be honest, I've never felt the need to spend money on rooting powder when it comes to currants, I just prune them and stuff a suitable cutting into the ground (don't even bother with trenching and sloping them) so far we've has a 100% taking rate (and I'm including my grandfather in the 'we' :) )

We took hardwood cuttings from blackcurrant and rambling roses not 4 weeks ago using hormone powder and instead of putting them in the tunnel because of the chickens we had them in the conservatory they have rooted already... I wonder if I have time for more:unsure:.
Is any one else on the free plant vibe?View attachment 24834View attachment 24835
Currants will root quite easily in a bucket of water so I don't think it's really necessary to use rooting powder.
When I prune back my red/white/black currants I usually end up with lots of pencil-thick branches which are perfect for propagation. I just separate them by type and leave them in buckets of water over winter. By Spring, they have lots of white water-roots and just need to be planted.

They are easy to root I did that last year where the blackcurrant patch is just to make it bigger.
The children took the cuttings in the photos with our help they will be sold on there stall for £3 if your ever passing up the summit Road!? :)

Edit reply to jbm.

They are easy to root I did that last year where the blackcurrant patch is just to make it bigger.
The children took the cuttings in the photos with our help they will be sold on there stall for £3 if your ever passing up the summit Road!? :)

Edit reply to jbm.

I have loads going spare if you're over my way...also Buddleia davidii "black knight" which have a divine fragrance in July (loved by butterflies and bees)

Nothing beats a free plant! Spent a very wet day at work dividing and propagating plants.

I have loads going spare if you're over my way...also Buddleia davidii "black knight" which have a divine fragrance in July (loved by butterflies and bees)
When do you take your buddleia cuttings?

When I prune them at the end of summer/autumn. You have all the material available when you prune, so it makes sense to do it then.
I went a bit stir-crazy last summer. I made far too many cuttings - box, yew, rosemary, etc. I'll probably just pot them on and give them to a local charity.

Have you got any dog woods (Cornus)? When I prune mine later this month I often stick a few of the prunings in a slit trench. It’s not quite the right time for propagation, but a few will take.
Clematis can be layered- pin a flexible stem to the soil, making sure the stem is covered by the soil. Leave attached to the parent plant until it roots.
Buddleia cuttings are done in the autumn. Can grow from seed in the spring.

Ceanothus cuttings from last autumn have survived winter in the greenhouse and are now outside

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
When I prune them at the end of summer/autumn. You have all the material available when you prune, so it makes sense to do it then.
I went a bit stir-crazy last summer. I made far too many cuttings - box, yew, rosemary, etc. I'll probably just pot them on and give them to a local charity.
cheers I half my buddleia at the end of the summer and then prune in feb/March standardising it I only have a white one that has been in the garden for 16 years I will give it ago
Have you got any dog woods (Cornus)? When I prune mine later this month I often stick a few of the prunings in a slit trench. It’s not quite the right time for propagation, but a few will take.
Clematis can be layered- pin a flexible stem to the soil, making sure the stem is covered by the soil. Leave attached to the parent plant until it roots.
Buddleia cuttings are done in the autumn. Can grow from seed in the spring.
We don't have any dog wood,
I've always taken clem cuttings on a heated bench in the summer softish wood cuttings.

I did it with our plum trees back in January. We've got a few different varieties, in our orchard. It had been abandoned for quite a few years before we bought it last year. All the trees were growing wildly, and needed taming. When pruning, I kept a number of appropriately sized branches back, and did the same as Curly.

Now, I have loads of sticks coming into bud in the greenhouse. Given that you're paying £50/60 at garden centres for small fruit trees, its quite a saving. We do plan on extending the orchard, so this will be a big help. I would take pic, but to dark at the moment.

We also need a better evergreen hedge on one side of the smallholding. So when trimming back the Laurel at home, I've done the same, and have about 400 cuttings sat in pots at the moment. They'll probably be planted out this time next year.

Ceanothus cuttings from last autumn have survived winter in the greenhouse and are now outside
They have done well considering the winter we have had our 4ft ceanothus is jude well all the leaves are crisp but there is life when you score a branch or bend so there's hope.
I did it with our plum trees back in January. We've got a few different varieties, in our orchard. It had been abandoned for quite a few years before we bought it last year. All the trees were growing wildly, and needed taming. When pruning, I kept a number of appropriately sized branches back, and did the same as Curly.

Now, I have loads of sticks coming into bud in the greenhouse. Given that you're paying £50/60 at garden centres for small fruit trees, its quite a saving. We do plan on extending the orchard, so this will be a big help. I would take pic, but to dark at the moment.

We also need a better evergreen hedge on one side of the smallholding. So when trimming back the Laurel at home, I've done the same, and have about 400 cuttings sat in pots at the moment. They'll probably be planted out this time next year.
You will find your apple trees won't come true but its all part of taking hardwood cuttings I've taken some apple only a few though.
Last year I tryed some sycamore seed I had left (6 year old) but looks like the two I have on the common are the only two I will grow from the seeds I collected.

You will find your apple trees won't come true but its all part of taking hardwood cuttings

Haven't started on the apples yet, just the plums.

Apples will be next year. We've got some root stock growing at the moment, and will graft our favourites, and the cider apples onto them 👍😎

Apples will be next year. We've got some root stock growing at the moment, and will graft our favourites, and the cider apples onto them 👍😎

Apples are usually grafted onto a root stock. You can buy different roots depending on how big you want the tree to be eventually.

We get a borer in the blackcurrants bushes here which seems to basically kill the plant. Blackcurrants do make the best jam. I must take cuttings in spring from my one and only plant.....

We took hardwood cuttings . . . . . . . using hormone powder . . . . . . .

I took cuttings from a lavender shrub, because I would like to establish many of these shrubs for the bees.

Because I do not consider that I have a particularly "green thumb", I thought that I would search for information on the method/s I should use. With regard to suitable plant-rooting hormones, I discovered that there is something that all of us may already have - honey!

It appears that honey does indeed have microbiological properties that make it a very useful aid in propagating plant cuttings. The following web-site may be of interest:
https://www.urbangardengal.com/honey-rooting-hormone-cuttings/
My lavender cutting propagating efforts have been more successful than I had anticipated or hoped for.

madasafish said:

They have done well considering the winter we have had our 4ft ceanothus is jude well all the leaves are crisp but there is life when you score a branch or bend so there's hope.

d.

One of our ceanothus was half blasted and the one I took cutting from (a 1 meter high and wide bush bought as a £4 plant from Morrisons some 10 years ago) was half killed by the Beast from The East in 2018..It has made a full recovery. Another died.

The cuttings I always overwinter in a green house: I suspect it's the wind plus cold that does the damage.
As a Californian shrub, they appear half hardy. Bees love the flowers.

Yeah sorry you knew what I was talking about I didn't :).

If I was going to plant apples for my bees on a big scale it would be cider apples and crab.
The crab apples last year locally were covered in honey bees and on previous years.
One of the wild trees growing up here.

I would be interested to know how you get on drew with the grafting and such.

One of our ceanothus was half blasted and the one I took cutting from (a 1 meter high and wide bush bought as a £4 plant from Morrisons some 10 years ago) was half killed by the Beast from The East in 2018..It has made a full recovery. Another died.

The cuttings I always overwinter in a green house: I suspect it's the wind plus cold that does the damage.
As a Californian shrub, they appear half hardy. Bees love the flowers.
The bees do make ceanothus hum here's the state of my shrub and a picture of the white buddleia which is getting pruned this weekend.
I prune in early March it will flower first second week in July.
If I prune it same time in Feb it will flower late June. IMG_20210311_095326.jpg
IMG_20210311_095446.jpg
As you can see I strip all lower branches off and have made it into a 4/5 ft standard. I like doing this because it let's you see the low growing plants and as the garden slopes and is terraced in places you can see down through the shrub which draws the eye to the statues / water baths we have in the garden.

Latest posts

Back