Happy Christmas girls!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Due to a slightly light hive (after hefting yesterday) and another impending cold snap being forecasted I decided to give the girls an early Christmas prezzie of the fondant that I had originally intended to feed them in Jan. As I put the fondant over the feed hole I could see that the frames in view still full with nicely capped stores- so I am not too worried. Operation done with minimal disturbance.

Just a warning: with the last cold snap (and another one on the way) it may be a good idea for those who have not hefted to do so. If you check your hive now and it is light you can still ensure your colony's survival by feeding fondant. If you don't check and assume that all will be ok you may be in for a nasty surprise next spring. A colony of bees is worth a lot more than a slab of fondant...

Ben P

That approach is obviously flawed!

And i wonder why....lol....but maybe it could save needing to use anymore fondant on that particular colony.

Last edited:
I put in fondant if the last lot as gone.

That approach is obviously flawed!

RAB

Silly Bee,

Fondant is a precautionary measure. You should assess whether to feed fondant or not on the basis of how heavy the hive is. If it is still jam-packed with stores there is no point- the bees will just continue to eat the fondant rather than their own natural stores. This is a waste of money and a waste of time.

Ben P

Back