Handy items/equipment to keep in your shed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondered if there is anything that anyone can recommend to have in your shed, should they ever be needed (other than spare brood boxes/supers etc).

I have a mirror. Sometimes I inspect hive on my own, so it’s handy to check beesuit for bees after inspection, before removing suit.

Pedal bin bags - I keep these to put any wax, brace comb etc that I get rid of when inspecting. Don’t want these disposed of in the apiary as it might encourage robbing.

Bag of washing soda - for keeping hive tools clean.

Pen and paper for making inspection notes. Better to get it down quickly while it’s fresh in your mind.

Any other items recommended to keep in the shed?

Gin
Tonic
Glass
Fridge
Seat

One of those curly hook things from thornes for cleaning the channels in frames. Always thought it was useless until someone gave me one!
E

Suit was in the hall. Little monster is now no more.
AND . . . it chewed its way out of the back like something from Room 101.
D5aLfgmXkAA9xpM.jpg

Suit was in the hall. Little monster is now no more.
AND . . . it chewed its way out of the back like something from Room 101.
D5aLfgmXkAA9xpM.jpg

Kids will often do that when so confined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blow torch. Great for scorching boxes but saves tons of time lighting the smoker.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Leatherman wave+

Have it on me all the time.

Great little tool for all those little jobs.

Use the saw function the most when a branch is encroaching on the hives.

I never keep important thing like that in the shed... i would be devastated if a mouse found it's way in..the spare room in the cottage has a place for the bee suits..
Keep in tin box. When I had the bees from hell a couple of years ago they trapped me in the garage a few times- no kidding, dozens just went backwards and forwards across the doorway and attacked if I went to the door. This was not when I was doing anything with the bees and the garage was not close to the hives. Nice bees now, but I still have my emergency tin in the garage.
Mice? Yes, reduced my boots to sandals, so your caution is well placed.

Keep in tin box. When I had the bees from hell a couple of years ago they trapped me in the garage a few times- no kidding, dozens just went backwards and forwards across the doorway and attacked if I went to the door. This was not when I was doing anything with the bees and the garage was not close to the hives. Nice bees now, but I still have my emergency tin in the garage.
Mice? Yes, reduced my boots to sandals, so your caution is well placed.

But what do you keep in your emergency tin ?:confused::confused:

Latest posts

Back