Handling Fees Again.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
We have a number of these nucs available if you require more than one please contact me and i will add a privet listing.

To secure your Bees you must pay a Deposit of £88.50 the balance will be required on collection or on dispatch if you need delivery. Your deposit is fully refundable if we can not for any reason supply your bees - a £8.00 handeling fee.

Collect a load of deposits on something which may not exist and then give it back minus 10%

Which is illegal if my understanding of the law is correct.

Which is illegal if my understanding of the law is correct.

Well it certainly is if you have not got and never intend to have anything for sale,

but I would also think that if you as a seller are unable to complete the sale for which you have taken a deposit for, that you cant keep part of the deposit as a handling fee..... or even a handeling fee..
(Unless I am mistaken,seems we have come across that spelling before)

You can if the buyer drops out of the deal....

and if you have made it clear in your terms os sale from the time you asked for a deposit, you dont have to return any of it.

Last edited:
From the statutory rights page

Distance Selling

When making purchases via distance selling methods, consumers are also covered by the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. The Distance Selling Regulations bring a European Directive into UK Law. It is always worth checking whether the supplier you are purchasing from is based within the UK or EU so that you know whether your UK consumer rights will apply. Distance Selling refers to purchases made when the consumer isn't physically present to complete the contract - for instance by mail order, digital television, email or via the Internet. These regulations ensure that consumers have access to written prior information (such as final costs, contact details of the supplier, delivery arrangements and cancellation policies) before making a final purchase.

Under these regulations consumers also have what is commonly referred to as a 7 day cooling-off period. During this time consumers may examine the goods as they would in a shop, change their mind and cancel the contract. The supplier is then expected to make a full refund within 30 days of the delivery of goods or start of the provision of the service.

Unfair Terms

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCRs) seek to protect consumers against unfair standard terms in contracts made with traders that diminish common law and statutory rights. An unfair term is not considered legally binding, as it inflicts unreasonable burdens on the consumer. The definition of an unfair term is a term that "…contrary to the requirement of good faith…causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations under the contract, to the detriment of consumers"

supplier is then expected to make a full refund within 30 days of the delivery of goods or start of the provision of the service.

and a little known fact is that if you have to take faulty goods back to a shop you can claim for travelling expences...
You do not have to produce a receipt to show that you bought the goods at that shop,,, the onus is more on the shop to prove that you didnt buy them there....

Bank statement is proof also , just read it. Also if you buy bees and they are shipped to you and they arrive in poor health you can still have a refund .By the looks of it you can send them back because you just don't like the look of them on distanve sale of rights lol

The Distance Selling Regulations cover "goods and services". Does anyone here know the legal definition of "goods"? Is it broad enough to cover livestock? Do bees count as livestock? "Goods" sounds like an odd way to describe a colony of bees to me.

Paul

looked on the postoffice site and bees come under prohibited goods > living creatures>Bees

looked on the postoffice site and bees come under prohibited goods > living creatures>Bees

Strange....considering they deliver them all around the country,and further.

I thought bees were allowed through the post along with leaches and I think earth worms?

If they are not allowed I have been guilty of receiving banned goods...my purchase of queens all came via Royal Mail and the envelopes clearly had stickers stating so.

Mind you I wouldn’t want to trust a colony of bees to the local posties around here as they could end up being delivered or left anywhere!

Cheers
S

Shhhh don't tell them i will delete the post quick lol

Unfair Terms

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCRs) seek to protect consumers against unfair standard terms in contracts made with traders that diminish common law and statutory rights. An unfair term is not considered legally binding, as it inflicts unreasonable burdens on the consumer. The definition of an unfair term is a term that "…contrary to the requirement of good faith…causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations under the contract, to the detriment of consumers"

Dear Mr Legal Beagle

Would that apply to ESTATE AGENTS who con you into signing a SOLE SELLERS RIGHTS aggreeement without any explanation, and then go onto demant 2% of the sale prive of your home when you go out and find your own buyer?

Bee related.... they live in somepnes house don't they?

Does the post office say you cant post bees?

If so, does that mean that you can post a bee?

Would that apply to ESTATE AGENTS who con you into signing a SOLE SELLERS RIGHTS aggreeement without any explanation, and then go onto demant 2% of the sale prive of your home when you go out and find your own buyer?

I dont think that any laws are applicable to estate agents.

either that or its just that they dont understand the big words....

That "Cannot Send" list is about 90% of what is sold and posted on ebay every day....

so if something got lost that was on that list,,, would they refund you?

You need to read all the way to the end of the sentence "Bees, leeches, ............................... are allowed".

it also says
sent between recognised institutions

Also seems chemicals which could be used for varroa treatment mustnt be posted.

So.... all we can post is socks for Christmas,, as long as they are not sharp or explosive....

Latest posts

Back